Sunday, August 9, 2020

Inklings // August 2020

Welcome to our August Inklings! For more see the first post here or the rules below.

Rules:

1. At any time during the month, on your own blog post a scene from a book or film that matches the prompt, including a link back here in your post.

2. Leave a link to your post in the comments section on this post and at the end of the month I'll do another post with everyone's links. That's it!

~

Due to Legends of Western Cinema Week coming up soon, I thought it'd be fun to do a western-y themed prompt (which, unfortunately, also leaves us a multitude of delicious options ;P). The final decision ultimately came out to being:

A pivotal film scene at an old time western bar

(Note: This isn't a 'saloon scene' as such, but men talking and digging their elbows in at the bar. Make sense?)

My entry for this month is from The Westerner (1940) with Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, and Doris Davenport. For some crazy reason, it seems to be very little known, which is a shame as it's excellent. It seems to be available to stream for free round the internet (as of posting, Amazon Prime has it and that's what I'd recommend for best resolution).

It's one I alllllmost skipped seeing and I'm so glad I didn't! The story depth, acting, dynamics, and character development of the main characters are unexpected and excellent. The ending's ultimately happy, but still makes me tear up. Anyhow, this scene (which comes much much before the ending) is always the first that pops to mind when I think of it. They're honestly both scamps at this point, but one is on the way to leaving his scamp-ish ways behind and you can already see the tension simmering.

(If you scroll way near the bottom here you can find the mini review I did for it last summer.) 

Looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with! Have fun!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I have not watched many Westerns, the most pivotal scene is the hilarious bar smashing "domestic" fight in the in the Apple Dumpling Gang. Actually even if I watched many Westerns, that scene is so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia Rachelle,
      Oh I know!! I think that was the first such scene I ever saw and I was torn when choosing what to post here, cause it really is so funny. I'm so happy you thought of it too! You should definitely do a post on it. ;)

      Delete
    2. This was fun, here is my post http://rosepetalsandfaeriedust.com/blog/2020/08/inklings-august-2020-the-apple-dumpling-gang/

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is a hard one, but I think I can come up with something to fill the challenge. :) Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's mine! I had a ton of fun, thanks for doing this again!!
      http://moviesmeetmatch.blogspot.com/2020/08/inklings-august-2020-back-to-future.html

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...