Wednesday, August 19, 2020

~ My Tag Answers for Legends of Western Cinema Week 2020 ~

1) What's the last western you watched? 

The Fastest Gun Alive (1956).

2) A western of any stripe (happy or tragic) where you were highly satisfied by the ending? 

Apart from my top favs (cause, for me, I have to be very satisfied with the ending for it to land on that list a'tall, obviously) and I've only seen it once, but I was floored with how much I actually enjoyed The Gunfighter (1950) with Gregory Peck. It does end with a funeral, but somehow it's not ultimately tragic. It was gripping and just ended up giving that deep "ahaaaaaa" feeling. 

3) The funniest western you've seen? 

Um... of the ones I feel like mentioning at the moment (and I know it might not be everyone’s cup of tea and I really have to do a Deeper Examination post one of these days), but the 2013 Lone Ranger took me by surprise. There are so many unexpected lines, quirky funny camera angles, and oft-times dead pan delivery; I was literally giggling while watching (and now cracking up writing this), so we'll go with that one. 

4) What similar elements/themes show up in your favorite westerns?

For more of why I deeply love westerns you can click here, but manly friendships/brothers in arms/a good sidekick pairing, and loyalty. I’ve also been thinking a lot the last couple weeks about how manly men are sometimes a bit rough round the edges and how that comes out so perfectly in westerns. There’s evil to fight right there in front of you and it isn’t a time for mincing words and feel-goodiness. Men and women stand strongly and unapologetically for what they believe in, because generally they believe it’s worth dying for. 

5) Favorite actress who made one or more westerns? 

Ooh, this one’s super hard… There are so many lovely, talented actresses, but Claire Trevor would be high on the list, and Katy Jurado's talent and interpretation of her role in High Noon is excellent.

6) Favorite western hero/sidekick pairing? 

I can't decide if it's your typical sidekick situation, but one that keeps coming to mind a ridiculous amount lately is Jeff Butler (Joel McCrea) and Dick Allen (Robert Preston) in the 1939 Union Pacific. It's all a long standing, erstwhile friendship, with one friend turning to scoundrelly ways. And at such times real, deep, have-your-back, loyal friendship hurts. 

And there's a love triangle. And lots of outside tensions and pressures and sticky situations that land them ultimately in a giant shootout (which isn’t really between each other... it’s complicated), and it's so big and huge and leaves me in an emotional puddle and I still want to break down in floods of tears whenever I think of it. And after all that it still has a happy ending. *sniffing for all the deeply right reasons* 

7) Scariest villain/antagonist in a western?  

Apart from some spaghetti westerns (where the villains tend to be very despicable and scary to boot), Jack Elam's character in Rawhide (1951). Everyone's ok, but the way he plays out the ending makes your stomach drop through your boots. Of course, because it's a classic oldie though, the final climactic shoot out with the hero is epic. 

8) Favorite romance in a western?

 
Ringo and Dallas in the 1939 Stagecoach

 Always. <333 

9) Three of your favorite westerns? 

Soooo... what to do, what to do... *tapping fingers on keyboard in long indecision...* You’ve all heard about my top favorites list before (which list is due for a teensy shuffle and shake up anyhow), so going instead with the ones that I want to drop everything and watch right here and right now, at least bits and pieces: 

Wanted: Dead or Alive

 

The Magnificent Seven

Silverado 

10) Share one (or several!) of your favorite quotes from a western.

 
 
“I've got two guns. One for each of ya.” Tombstone 

“If anything’s worth having, it’s worth fighting for.” 

“If you want a man to do a job, don’t take away his tools.”

Both from Wanted: Dead or Alive

9 comments:

  1. Elam in Rawhide is an excellent choice and your described the effect perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caftan Woman,
      Oh I'm very glad you agree, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Awww, I remember your Stagecoach review from wayyyyy back! Dallas and Ringo! *all the feels*

    Great tag answers, Heidi!! <3 I answered the tag (with some modifications, heh heh hehhhh) here:

    https://iamcharlesbakerharris.wordpress.com/2020/08/19/legends-of-western-cinema-week-modified-tag/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie Hanna,
      Isn't it fun to remember certain epic posts?? And YES, definite feels. :D ;)

      Thanks for doing the tag, I enjoyed your answers!

      Delete
  3. Wowza, Jack Elam does look scary there! I have to see that now.

    I've only seen one thing with Claire Trevor, but Stagecoach is high on my to-watch list!

    Thanks for hosting! This is terrific fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MovieCritic,
      If you watch it I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

      Oooh, you MUST watch Stagecoach!!! ;D

      And oh good! I'm so glad. It was great having you joining in!

      Delete
  4. Yes, would agree that "The Long Ranger" is one of the funniest, if not the funniest, western I've seen! xD

    I approve of how many movies with Steve McQueen are making it onto this last, hehe.

    Also, Tombstone has some pretty iconic funny lines. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabby A,
      It's hilarious, isn't it? So many quotable lines. And the dead pan delivery. SO funny.

      I hadn't seen any with him till last year and now that's what would make me pick it off the shelf, so yes, Very Much Agree.

      And yes indeedy, love those quotes too. XD Glad we're kindred spirits on that subject!

      Delete
  5. So many people don't know that The Lone Ranger is funny, or they watch it and don't get that it's *intentionally* funny... which is a shame. Because it makes me laugh a lot.

    I like both Claire Trevor and Katy Jurado a whole lot.

    I just watched Rawhide this summer for the first time in decades. All I'd remembered about it after seeing it as a teen was that they tried to dig their way out of a building with a knife, and that Jack Elam was SUPER CREEPY. Oh my. I read that he regarded his role in it as the most evil of his whole career.

    Ringo + Dallas FOREVER.

    I once watched Tombstone while writing down every single awesome line of Doc Holliday's. It took like 4 pieces of notebook paper. I love him. Man, now I'm in the mood to watch that. Hmm. May have to change my plans for this evening...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...