Friday, September 18, 2020

Movie Review // The Kissing Bandit (1948) with Frank Sinatra & Kathryn Grayson

Starring Frank Sinatra, Kathryn Grayson, and a number of other familiar faces, this is a fun little musical set in the Sierra Nevadas during the days of Spanish Colonialism.


And... almost from the first frame, you know this is going to be slapstick.

The plot revolves around a dapper young man, Ricardo (Sinatra), coming out from Boston to take over the family business and finding out (much to his horror) that his family’s real money-making venture is banditry, and that he’s expected to at least keep up appearances. 

With much reluctance he agrees to at least play along and… 

...of course the first carriage they hold up is carrying the governor’s beautiful daughter (Grayson).

(It’s funny, cause even as much as I love Zorro etc., I don’t usually think of the Spaniards as actually being IN the Sierra Nevada high country. But of course they were at some level. They named the place. And I’m definitely not complaining. xD) 

A screenshot can’t do the delivery justice, but these moments are honestly quite funny, so I just had to share. 


“I’m terribly sorry about this.”



“I’d rather extend my thanks from… where I am… to where you are.” 

What follows is a whole snowballing tale of masquerade and mistaken identities as Ricardo tries to win his lady. I don’t want to give too many details at the moment, but suffice to say it all ends happily as the governor has had problems of his own during the whole film (i.e. the arrival of higher authorities from Spain intent on examining his management) and with the erstwhile bandits’ help those troubles all get ironed out to the general happiness and goodwill of pretty much all concerned.

It is a musical and has some sweet songs, with at least one being quite memorable. Both Sinatra and Grayson were (at least from what I’ve read so far?) naturally more proficient at singing than dancing, so they don’t either of them have any big dance numbers; BUT they have Cyd Charisse and several other talented dancers doing numbers, so it all evens out. 

Speaking of which, I LOVE THE FIESTA SCENE!! A spot of good, passionate, hot blooded Spanish dancing always kind of blows me away. 

(This happy moment doesn't actually happen, because at the Grand Dinner Scene everyone's 
much too much at odds with most everyone else for this to be reality. And her dress is a different color. 
All of which doesn't matter, cause it's a promotional poster. ;))  

Content wise, there’s no language, etc. At one point there is another girl who’s trying to distract him from his legitimate love interest and does a rather spicy dance, but he’s absolutely and entirely incorruptible and uninterested (it’s all part of the slapstick). And with the Spanish dancing period there are lots of whirling skirts, but the performers are wearing bodysuits underneath. There’s also a separate scene where the heroine’s singing briefly in her corsets (but they’re pretty much like her regular dress, only in white). Big picture, I’d say it’s definitely family friendly.

(Hee. This is also an off screen moment as his Man v. Horse Feud is a delightful, 
ongoing plot point. ;D)

As I said, it’s slapstick so the humor is in the expressions and one liners and perfectly executed awkward pauses and unexpected situations. 

All in all, it’s a pretty funny, cute, lighthearted film that definitely deserves to at least be talked of more than it is. Let me know if you’ve seen it!

 
(Reviewed for the Joe Pasternak producer blogathon.)

6 comments:

  1. Dear Heidi,

    This is a great article! Thank you so much for participating in my blogathon! Although my family members think this film is a little too silly, I have always liked it. True, it is a little more slapstick than most Joe Pasternak films, but the beautiful costumes, lovely singing, and unusually funny plot have always been fun and charming to me. You wrote a very nice review with great screenshots!

    Yours Hopefully,

    Tiffany Brannan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      Thank you and you're welcome! Yeah, it can get pretty silly, but I think it's a fun one to pull out for family movie night once in a while. So glad you enjoyed it! ;)

      Delete
  2. I know this movie gets a bad rep usually,but I honestly love it. It's so fun to watch. Plus, I'm a sucker for Sinatra. Thanks for writing about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. knwiniarski,
      It IS really fun. :) I think the key is in remembering it doesn't take itself too seriously in the first place, so we shouldn't. I'm happy to hear you love it!

      Delete
  3. This one sounds like a lot of fun. If it's half as entertaining as your review, I'll enjoy it very much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver Screenings,
      It really is. :) I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...