Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Inklings // January 2021

Hi everyone! The long and the short of it is that I was so busy trying to figure out a Halfway Adequate First Post for the Year + getting excited brainstorming for our period drama party next month + trying to keep up with the LOTR read along that I completely forgot about Inklings! *face palm* Good news is, cliche or not, it makes for a very apropos January post.

So let us at it!

Rules:

1. At any time during the month, on your own blog post a scene from a book or film that matches the prompt, including a link back here in your post.

2. Leave a link to your post in the comments section on this post and I'll post all your links with the next prompt. That's it!

December Round-Up:

~

January's prompt is:

A new beginning in book or film 

My contribution comes from Jane Eyre, a book chock full of new beginnings, with the future as it materializes always masterfully tying in with who Jane is/what she's becoming all the way through. I haven't thought this out in all it's details, but it could be argued that every new beginning/pilgrimage section of her story leads directly into the next answering haven. (Yeah, that might all be obvious.) Anyway. It just got me thinking how Bronte ties those two ideas (a haven and a setting out) together. Also thinking how (with the possible exception of Lowood in the early years) she describes each of the havens her heroine finds -- pretty entirely shut away from the world all of them -- as still being worthy fields of endeavor, with work to be done.


"When Mrs. Fairfax had bidden me a kind good-night, and I had fastened my door, gazed leisurely round, and in some measure effaced the eerie impression made by that wide hall, that dark and spacious staircase, and that long, cold gallery, by the livelier aspect of my little room, I remembered that after a day of bodily fatigue and mental anxiety, I was now at last in safe haven. The impulse of gratitude swelled my heart, and I knelt down at the bedside, and offered up thanks where thanks were due; not forgetting, ere I rose, to implore aid on my further path, and the power of meriting the kindness which seemed so frankly offered me before it was earned. My couch had no thorns in it that night; my solitary room no fears. At once weary and content, I slept soon and soundly: when I awoke it was broad day." from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Chapter 11

Love this story so much. Have you read or seen Jane Eyre?

~

Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with -- have fun!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi! I'm just getting back into the blogging world and couldn't resist joining in this month!!
    https://writeoncordy.blogspot.com/2021/01/january-inklings.html
    Thanks!!
    Cordy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little sister is reading Jane Eyre for the first time and is loving it! I read it way too quickly and this is making me want to reread.

    I filled mine out! You had perfect timing so I used a film that I recently rewatched. One of these days I'll think of something involving a book!
    http://moviesmeetmatch.blogspot.com/2021/01/inklings-january-2021.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Eyre is a perfect story for this prompt! Since you used it yourself, though, I went with The Blue Castle instead, and my post is here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked Harry Potter if that is okay: http://rosepetalsandfaeriedust.com/blog/2021/01/inklings-link-up-january-2021-harry-yer-a-wizard/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane Eyre has been on my reading list for ages, but if anyone deserves a happy ending, it's her.

    Here's my post: https://revealedintime.blogspot.com/2021/01/inklings-link-upjanuary-2021.html

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...