Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Inklings // March 2021

What ho! Spring has arrived here with busy exciting stuff popping anywhere and everywhere (meaning, too, tons of things to get done -- plants to get snugged into their new homes etc), all of which leads up to my pointing out how ridiculously late this Inklings post is. BUT I still really wanted to get a prompt in this month, so here goes!

(P.S. And I loved all your entries last month! 😊)

Rules:

1. At any time during the month, on your own blog post a scene from a book or film that matches the prompt, including a link back here in your post.

2. Leave a link to your post in the comments section on this post and I'll post all your links with the next prompt. That's it!

February Round-Up:

 

~

March's prompt is:

A scene involving a mirror in book or film

My entry comes from one of my all time favorites, Greenwillow by B.J. Chute. The story in its entirety is sweet and so refreshing -- like filling your lungs with spring wind or drinking a deep draught of pure water. The context for this scene is pretty simple/self-explanatory so I'll let you get right to it:

"When she remembered how late she was, she turned about and picked up her skirts and ran, causing one or two to stare at her but arriving on her doorstep just in time to find Miss Maidy getting into a bonnet to go out and find her.

"'Blessed be!' said Miss Maidy, giving a cry of joy and taking off her bonnet at once so the roses would not be shaken by her relief. 'We thought you'd gone wandering and lost yourself, nothing's safe in November and Puss in a maze about something.'

"'I'm sorry,' said Dorrie penitently, throwing back her hood and unfastening her cloak.

"'There, it's no matter,' Miss Maidy said comfortably, unable to hold to her grievance for even a moment. 'Nothing's to rights though, and Sister can't even find the hen-cozy for the teapot. I do wish Mrs. Lapp would be more agreeable about the hen-cozy, Dorrie, though she's very Christian in most things. Sister's in the kitchen. She gave your lame kitten some cream which I thought wasteful, but wasn't it kind? Do lay supper quickly, dear, you know how Emma is about keeping hours. Only run and tidy your hair first. You look,' said Miss Maidy unexpectedly, 'so pretty.'

"Dorrie stared at her blankly, then turned and sped up the narrow flight to her attic room where she laid aside her cloak and stepped quick to the mirror, meaning only to smooth her hair and retie the ribbon before she went down.

"She took the ribbon off and shook her hair loose, and it fell all around her shoulders in a soft veil. She looked at her face but she could not see what Miss Maidy meant at all, it being too broad to be pretty and her eyes not blue and wonderful like Sheby's but only plain gray. It was a face that served for the week and went nicely enough to church on Sundays, and if it looked pretty to Miss Maidy it must have been because she was so glad to see it come back.

"Dorrie leaned a little closer to the mirror. Her cheeks were pink from the high wind, and her hair was shiny. Maybe her hair could be called pretty, though it was tumbled about. She stared at herself looking back at herself for quite a long moment, and then she spoke to the Dorrie in the mirror. 

"'I'd like for Gideon to see my hair so,' said Dorrie. She put the backs of her hands to her cheeks and felt them hot.

"Then she stopped looking at the foolish girl in the mirror and braided her hair up very tight and ran out of the room as fast as her feet would carry her. She had Puss to care for, and the lame kitten. She had Miss Emma to be seeing to, and Miss Maidy, and the hen-cozy that would not be found." 

~

Isn't the word craft delicious? Have you heard of or read Greenwillow? 

Now have at it y'all and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Have fun!

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Greenwillow before, but it looks like a good book!

    March Inklings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Greenwillow on my TBR, I bought it last year but hadn't been in the mood to try it, I'll have to once I get moved and unpack my books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is mine: http://rosepetalsandfaeriedust.com/blog/2021/03/march-inklings-2021-mirror-scene-in-friendly-persuasion/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of Greenwillow before and I thought it sounded cute. I'm going to have to read it one of these days!

    My entry is up here!:
    http://moviesmeetmatch.blogspot.com/2021/03/inklings-march-2021.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Greenwillow a LOT! Just a charming, quirky, funny book. I'm so glad you sent me a copy for my birthday all those years ago!

    Here's my entry for this month :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have my entry up.
    https://oldbooksandmovies.blogspot.com/2021/03/inklings-march-2021-happiest-millionaire.html

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...