Saturday, September 23, 2023

Tolkien Blog Party Week Tag 2023

Eeeeek..... So our August and September has been jam packed with all sorts of jollity (family visits, county fair time, gallivanting round a couple of states on a mountain-y western adventure -- including also some expansive wilderness terrain filled with junipers + just miles of long-running road through wide open spaces); and also dentist visits, co-op starting, etc. AND the little princess and I stayed out super late last night with my mother-in-law at our local draft horse show, which was stunning as always. Anyhow, all that to say, apologies in advance as my brain is simultaneously hyper and exhausted, but it was also Hamlette's lovely annual Tolkien Blog Party last week(!) and I'm not gonna let that get away without making an appearance so we're gonna squeak in under the wire here with some tag answers. ;-)

And her questions look delicious. (I'm excited about this, can you tell? To be quite transparent, I'm also feeling like a cup of coffee would be warmly encouraging, but as it's already getting late that's probably a terrible idea.) 

Ok, let's do this thing!

Tolkien Party Tag Answers

 

1. Rohan or Gondor?

Between the two... Rohan. (Though some of my favorite scenes do happen in Gondor.) Still, I'm a girl who's happiest and at home in mountains and wide places. (As aforementioned, once or twice... somewhere. ;))

 


2. Rivendell or Lothlorien?

Oh, this one's hard. I keep wanting to say Ithilien on one of these. It's actually my favorite "resting point" in the trilogy -- and possibly my favorite location period. (Oooh, someday someone needs to explore the plot development happening between Elrond/Rivendell, Galadriel/Lothlorien, and Faramir/Ithilien + Tom Bombadil/his house. There's something there. I can just feel it.) 

But back on track! Hmm. Rivendell or Lothlorien... If it's in the fall, with its warm and cozy lights gleaming out and beckoning in the chilly darkness, I'd say Rivendell. On the other hand, someday I really want to see Lothlorien in the springtime.


3. Erebor or Moria?

Erebor. If restored to its former glory, I know Moria would probably be incredible, but yes, I've been in caves and not so much into the major underground thing. I also always love picturing what might have happened to the Lonely Mountain under Dain.

 

4. Bilbo or Frodo?

On the whole, Frodo. I wrote some about him here, once upon a time; and still find so much about him thought provoking, especially, I think, as I keep growing and developing myself, at the ripe old age of thirty-something now.


5. Merry or Pippin?

Probably Merry. If I have to choose. (Though to be clear I love both. Of course.) And upon my last reading I did really enjoy seeing Pippin's character development, especially in ROTK, but yes, Merry. *sniffles thinking about Certain Scenes*


6. Galadriel or Elrond?

Elrond. (Though since we're on the subject, I may as well mention I have a quibble on the topic when it comes to the films. All my life -- up to and including this moment -- I pictured him broad shouldered, majestic, and bearded. And apparently, though rare, in the broader Tolkien legendarium it's not unheard of for an elf to have facial hair. So all that to say, I'm going to bravely withstand whatever tides of public opinion may arise and dare to keep my mental picture. ;D)

 

7. Eomer or Faramir?

While I've come to dearly like Eomer, Faramir is very probably my favorite character in the entire trilogy, so.... yes. (You can read more here, if you're so inclined.) 

 

8. Fili or Kili?

Ok, so I haven't seen the Hobbit movies (in which there's possibly more character development for them?), but I honestly can't separate the two. Joined at the shoulder in life and death, their ending in the book is so poignant it's brought me to tears... I really can't choose between them.

 

9. Bard or Beorn?

Bard. Definitely Bard. (Though the scene where Beorn -- ahem -- appears at the end of the Hobbit always makes me want to cheer. And cry. And cheer.)

 


10. Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White?

Gandalf the White. He's weighty and majestic and awe-inspiring... and still himself.

 


This was a lovely tag, Rachel! So fun and you've made me want to pick the books up again asap. Thank you! <3

~

P.S. We've also been suuuuuuper busy outdoors this year, including breaking ground on the new location for our very own genuine Hobbiton garden. It's early days yet, but the goal is to one day have one of which Samwise could be proud. & maaaaaaybe it'll be big enough for a celebratory post for next year's LOTR's party. Wouldn't that be fun? We shall see! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Lothlorien in the spring would be a sight to behold. *blissful sigh*

    Yes! I also like imagining what Erebor/Dale are like post-restoration.

    Faramir, my love -- such a worthy man.

    Ooh, best of luck with your hobbit garden! I, for one, would very much like to see it make an appearance next year. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heidi! I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Here's the link to my award post:

    https://18cinemalane.com/2023/11/12/two-sunshine-blogger-awards-are-better-than-one/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...