Saturday, April 23, 2016

Announcing... An Engagement!


Are you ready for one of the most exciting posts ever published on this blog? :) (Note: the pictures are indeed running over on purpose for this one as I thought you'd all like to see them a wee bit better. ;))

To make a very long story (somewhat) shorter, it all started back awhile ago when a certain young man from across the country entered my life. We first met through our pastors as we attend sister churches in the same denomination.

And while I’m not here to argue for love at first sight, I can thoroughly vouch for a certain ‘click’ happening upon the occasion of the very first conversation. ;) From those first initial, friendly conversations, we easily proceeded into a thoughtful, careful, thoroughly intentional courtship. 

It all culminated exactly one week ago today in a single question out in the pasture and then a beautifully fairytale-ish diamond ring!

(9/16 Edit: you can also read my post HERE for an update on the ring topic. ;))

How do you go about encapsulating the heritage of previous generations, two entire life times, and the wondrous workings of providence into any sort of semi-adequate summary? The goodness of God is immense and His ways deep and glorious past finding out.

So much was discussed throughout the courtship that it runs to multiple pages (yes, I kept a list! ;)), but very definitely, the first thing we wanted to make sure of was doctrinal agreement and unity. That covered, the conversations proceeded to life vision things: lifestyle, life choices, the raising of children, and on and on. Here we found more things in common -- things I'd dreamed of finding, but then begun to wonder if I ever would... Actually finding them true was (and still is) stunning.


And there are all the blessings that make it actually 'work.' We get what one another is thinking and saying. He makes me laugh. And I make him laugh.

Incidentally, the first love we ever found in common was our love for mountains and wide spreading places -- space running out to the sky, miles upon miles upon miles of it.





He  loves history. All of it. WWII… ancient history… medieval history… eastern European history… pirates… early American history…

He loves the American west and knows tons (and I mean tons) of good idioms and quirky, crazy, wild, marvelous happenings. (I’m starting to more thoroughly understand why – providentially – I hadn’t yet finished David’s Shoulders. It's going to be so much better. :))

He wants me to write.


Believe it or not, age-wise we’re very similar to Barney and Valancy in Montgomery’s Blue Castle.

Studying and falling in love with his character and convictions and personality, I (at some point, of course) had to start likening him to certain Austen heroes and (believe me, I’m not making this up) he’s really and truly startlingly like Mr. Knightley.

Speaking of Mr. Knightley, he actually had a nodding acquaintance with JA and N&S(!) years before we ever met!



On  the subject of N&S, he shares a given name with a certain well esteemed hero… John… Jehovah has been gracious.

He loves Tolstoy’s story of War and Peace and I love Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment.

Serious minded, entrepreneurial, and creative, he’s a business owner who's passionate about what he does.

Gentle, strong, and generous, he’s a leader living by his convictions, walking in diligence and faithfulness before his God and Savior.



And I'm now honored to be becoming his wife in five short months.

Our Lord is so gracious… Delighting in giving good and rich gifts to His people with an abundance running up and pouring over!

“Your mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. Your righteousness is like the great mountains; Your judgments are a great deep; O Lord, You preserve man and beast. 

“How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings. They are abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house, and You give them drink from the river of Your pleasures. For with You is the fountain of life…” Psalm 36:5-9

Blessings to each one of you dear friends!



(P. S. And have no fear, I'm marrying a story lover and moving west across country, so I have no intention of forgetting the blog anytime soon. ;D There are hundreds of wonderful conversations yet to be shared on this grand new adventure!!)

41 comments:

  1. Heidi, that is superb and thrilling news. I'm so happy for you and your both make up a lovely couple. It's always so beautiful when the Lord brings 2 people together so purposefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, as a friend of John's for more than 10 years (and a fellow church member), I am totally thrilled with this news!!! I can't wait to meet you and welcome you into our church family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi!! Congratulations!!! I'm so so excited for you both! Praise Jesus! Can't wait to (hopefully? ;)) hear more about all of this unfolding over the next months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am very excited for you both!! He sounds wonderful and you both look so happy! God's blessings on you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHHH. HOW LOVELY!! CONGRATULATIONS! :-) (You sly girl, keeping it a secret... :-D) I hope you two have happy everlastings together!!! :-D
    Happy engagement!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's so exciting. Congratulations! My God pour His abundant blessings on the two of you as you begin a new life together!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Heidi I guess the call to your father was one of the best calls I have ever made! Congratulations and my the Lord continue to bless your relationship and long life together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. IM TOTALLY NOT SCREAMING WHAT IS THIS NOISE EMITTING FROM MY MOUTH?
    HEIDI YOU DARLING THING CONGRATULATIONS! I must email you soon!!!
    Happy happy engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS, HEIDI!!!! This was SO unexpected! I saw the title of your post on my blogger page and was like "NO WAY!!!" And then clicked on it, "YES WAY!!!" :D
    Happy engagement!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! What wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEIDI!!!!!!!! How wonderful! I am SO SO SO happy for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how exciting!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Heidi!! You two seem like the perfect fit. And what a neat place to take engagement pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful news, Heidi!!!
    Congratulations to the both of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! How wonderful for you! God bless you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. HEIDI!!!! What wonderful news! I am so happy for you!! Congratulations to you both <3

    I simply can't stop saying "Heidi's gonna get married!" over and over with a splitting grin on my face :)

    P.S. Your ring is soooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. *gets home from church*

    *turns on laptop*

    *clicks on blog post*

    And . . .

    GOLLY PETE I'M DONE DEAD.

    HEIDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    *collapses in chair mumbling incoherently with flailing arms*

    This is the BEST news I have had in a long, long, long, LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time!!!!! I'm SO happy for you!!! You totally deserve to an awesome Mr.-Knightley-esque-hero and I'm SO happy you've found one!! I know you're going to have a beautiful life together . . . and I can't wait for the wedding so we can hear all about it! :-)

    Can I just take a moment here to say, fairy tales do come true? Or . . . a bit more accurately . . . GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME???????

    Like, seriously. This is INCREDIBLE.

    And given that yesterday (when you posted this) just happened to be my old friend William Shakespeare's birthday . . . I'd like to close by pointing out--as if we didn't all know this already--that true love "is an ever-fixed mark, which looks on tempests and is never shaken; it is the star to every wandering bark, whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken."

    Because, you know, it's true. And we can never have too much of Shakespeare.

    Congratulations, and God bless you both!! Again--I'm SO happy for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!!!! :D That's wonderful! Wishing you both the very best! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Heidi!! Such exciting news. : ) You two look like a perfect couple!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am SO HAPPY for you Heidi!! I hope you and your Mr. Knightley have a beautiful, wonderful life together!

    ~Rilla Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, Heidi! I'm SO happy for you!!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful news with us! :D And God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  22. THIS IS SO WONDERFUL!!! Heidi, I am SO happy for you and John!! You two truly seem to be made for each other and your story is so sweet and precious and truly "meant to be". How marvelous that you can SEE God's hand working in this relationship-even before you met each other! :) :)
    This post was so beautiful and it brought such a smile to my heart. I am SO happy you!! -hugs- CONGRATULATIONS, MY WONDERFUL FRIEND!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Heidi I am looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you into our family I always wanted a daughter now you are a blessing to John and us.God is in control and he always will be the center of your marriage.It is such a thrill to speak with you on the phone the other day.I am looking forward to speaking to you again before the wedding so that I know what to wear. Congratulations to my future in Daughter in Law Heidi. Love and Blessings Cindy {your future In Law}

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heidi I am sending another message since I messed up on the anonymous I would like to leave my name at the top so I will try again my comments to you and John. Congratulations to you and John I am so pleased to see that you are a super writer your wedding announcement brought tears to my eyes maybe on day you can share with me who the names that are written initials.I don't know who those people are.Welcome into our family and our lives we will meet at the wedding maybe a day before. Gracious is our Lord for he is good thank goodness for Gods plans. Love Cindy and Paul your future In Laws.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Heidi!! What a touching love story and what glorious news!! I'm so very happy for you. :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so exciting! Congratulations!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations, Heidi!! That's great news! May the Lord bless and keep you both in His care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'll say it again because I'm not tired of saying it yet! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Very happy for you both :-D

    ReplyDelete
  30. who does my name stay at the top of this comment site I can only go anonymous I guess I have to join this site?. Blessings your future Mother In Law. Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations Heidi! I have known John for many years and as a young boy, he was always very thoughtful and kind. I am so happy he has found such a wonderful woman as you to marry. I know God has brought you together and your union will be a light to the world. I hope I will have an opportunity to meet you someday

    ReplyDelete
  32. A thousand congratulations!! I am so happy for you!!!! Thank you for sharing this peek into your very own story! Praising the Lord with you for bringing the two of you together in His perfect way and timing! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, congratulations, Heidi! :)
    I don't believe I've commented on your blog, before... well, let me introduce myself. Hello, I'm Meg. ;) I have been reading your blog for quite a long time now... (maybe nearing a year). I enjoy hopping onto it every now and then - you always have such a lovely, warm way of writing. But anyhow, I just wanted to pop in and say congratulations on such EXCITING news! I'm so happy for you. :)
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  34. CONGRATS, Heidi! Such awesome news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my goodness, THIS IS FRABJOUS NEWS! AAAAHHHH, CONGRATULATIONS, HEIDI! I think this is the first time I've commented on your blog? I follow it and revel in all the beauty of your posts when they are published, but I've never actually gotten around to commenting. I know you've commented on mine so I figured it was about time to drop in and say hello. :)

    Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS. I'm so happy for you. *squeals* Goodness knows you deserve a Mr. Knightley in your life. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such wonderful news, Heidi! I saw this post and thought, "Oh I must tell her I am so happy for her!" Congrats and what a blessing, God bless you on this new grand adventure you're going to take with your fiance! Praise the Lord and God bless both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dearest Heidi...oh my! I was SO excited upon reading your blog today to see that you are now engaged! Oh, CONGRATULATIONS! What a wonderful time of life for you...the LORD is so very good... May He bless you and your plans...I am absolutely thrilled for you and your fiance and excited to be part of this sweet adventure through reading your blog! {{smiles}}
    I am sorry that I have been so absent of late...I began writing a new blog, A Diary of a Country Girl and been refollowing all my favourite blogs again...including yours!
    I hope you are well and enjoying the end of summer!
    Many blessings and again, hearty congrats!
    Hugs and love,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...