Monday, April 1, 2024

Inklings // April 2024

Happy April everyone! Spring is springing on every hand and -- what with all that excitement in the air -- I decided I should just go for it and try to revitalize our Inklings here. We had a good run with it a number of years ago and it was such fun. Can't wait to see if anyone else wants to do it as well and what you come up with!

Rules:

1. At any time during the month, on your own blog post a scene from a book or film that matches the prompt, including a link back here in your post.

2. Leave a link to your entry in the comments section on this post and I'll post all your links with the next prompt. That's it!

~

April's prompt is:

A scene with a cake in book or film

My entry comes from Louisa May Alcott's An Old-Fashioned Girl -- literally the first grown-up-ish classic I ever read, at the tender age of eleven or so. So many fond memories.

"It was a most delectable cake, with a nosegay atop, and round it on the snowy frosting there ran a pink inscription, just as it had been every year since Tom could remember...

"Whose doing is that?" asked Tom, surveying the gift with satisfaction; for it recalled the happier birthdays, which seemed very far away now.

"I didn't know what to give you, for you've got everything a man wants, and I was in despair till I remembered that dear Grandma always made you a little cake like that, and that you once said it wouldn't be a happy birthday without it. So I tried to make it just like hers, and I do hope it will prove a good, sweet, plummy one."

"Thank you," was all Tom said, as he smiled at the giver, but Polly knew that her present had pleased him more than the most elegant trifle she could have made.

"It ought to be good, for you beat it up yourself, Tom," cried Maud. "It was so funny to see you working away, and never guessing who the cake was for. I perfectly trembled every time you opened your mouth, for fear you'd ask some question about it. That was the reason Polly preached, and I kept talking when she was gone."

"Very stupid of me; but I forgot all about today. Suppose we cut it; I don't seem to care for anything else," said Tom, feeling no appetite, but bound to do justice to that cake, if he fell a victim to his gratitude." 

~

Have you read An Old-Fashioned Girl? Or seen the 1949 musical film? I haven't seen the film and curious... Part of me doesn't like the idea at all, but then, one never knows.

Would love to see your Inklings entries as well -- have fun!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're bringing this back! I've missed it so much : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy Miranda,
      Yay! Awww, that's so good to hear. ;) Thanks so much for the encouraging comment ! <3

      Delete
  2. I've an entry! https://starlightandsaucepans.org/inklings-april-2024/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a contribution! https://the-bend-in-the-road.weebly.com/blog/inklings-april-2024

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here’s my contribution! https://inklingcorner.blogspot.com/2024/04/inklings-april-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is my entry! https://a-house-mouse.blogspot.com/2024/04/inklings-link-up-april-2024.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this book, but that's an adorable scene!

    Here's mine! I'm so stoked that you've started this again. :)
    https://moviesmeetmatch.blogspot.com/2024/04/inklings-april-2024.html

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...