Sunday, December 13, 2020

Movie Review // Lady on a Train (1945) with Deanna Durbin & David Bruce

Yet another deeply longtime family favorite, I can’t believe how long it’s taken me to get around to reviewing this! Actually, it’s been on my list for a long time, it’s just that whenever I start thinking about it I kinda come up floundering for words. 

Also starring Dan Duryea and Ralph Bellamy, this classic Christmas-tide mystery is such a deft combination of styles that it makes it frightfully difficult to categorize.

At first I was going to say it flirts with the edges of film noir (i.e. in the camera angles and storytelling style), but I’ve since found some folks put it completely in the noir class, albeit acknowledging its hilarity.  

Truth is, it’s just brilliant. And classy, very very classy.

Every last scene has it’s own little surprise and/or excitement and I really really really don’t want to give any spoilers. 

Here's my best shot at a quick summary: Spunky San Franciso debutante Nicki Collins (Deanna Durbin) is on her way to visit an aunt for Christmas and just coming into New York City on the train when she witnesses the silhouette of a vicious murder. 

After trying to inform the authorities and being dismissed as having an overactive imagination, she determines to get the help of her favorite mystery writer, Wayne Morgan (David Bruce). 

An entire snowballing adventure of amateur detective work, case of mistaken identity, and lighthearted but none-the-less genuine romance ensues. 

As far as the crime solving methods/police investigation go it's not exactly realistic, but I prefer to think of it as Nancy Drew-esque. ;) And they do a really good job of keeping you guessing right the way through. I remember the first time I was on the edge of my seat and even on subsequent viewings you can feel the tension.

The whole thing is just laced through with humor; but one of my favorite aspects of the story is how Wayne -- dragged into the case very much against his will -- gets genuinely interested and involved (promptly getting plunged in at the deep end with the whole scene in the cellar, replete with cascading wine racks) out of sheer chivalry. 

As I said, I’ve never seen another film quite like it in terms of being able to move so smoothly between laughable absurdity and real genuine emotion -- all in the space of about two minutes and without making one or the other look ridiculous.

As for the musical numbers, while this doesn’t have some of her most famous operatic solos, on the flip side they’re some of my top favorites, still beautifully showcasing her amazing vocal talents.

Deanna Durbin singing Silent Night over the telephone = one of the most beautiful and iconic scenes of classic Christmas film.

Content: it is a multiple murder mystery and the pivotal scenes/center of the film all happen round the environs of a nightclub (at the end of which a murder victim is briefly depicted), but as far as such things go it’s pretty squeaky clean. With a parental preview, I’d say it’s very family friendly.

Altogether it's fun and funny and hilarious and sweet, and it definitely needs to go on your watch list asap! <3 :)

Reviewed for PEPS Happy Holidays blogathon.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very fun movie! I enjoy film noir on occasion, so I'll have to check it out at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I counted six Christmas trees in Lady on a Train the last time I watched it. I think it may hold the record for individual trees (not a hotel or mall scene where we might find a plethora).

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...