Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Romantic quotes game // answers!

Scores are at the bottom. Thank you to everyone for playing so valiantly! I'd really love to hear if any of them surprise you so please comment! xD

 ~

1) "They were gradually acquainted, and when acquainted, rapidly and deeply in love."

Captain Wentworth & Anne // Persuasion by Jane Austen


2) "I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad---as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have a worth---so I have always believed; and if I cannot believe it now, it is because I am insane---quite insane: with my veins running fire, and my heart beating faster than I can count its throbs. Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot."

Jane // Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

 

3) "She was going away, but I detained her. I clasped my arm about her waist. ...New thoughts and hopes were whirling through my mind, and all the colors of my life were changing. 'Dearest Agnes! Whom I so respect and honor---whom I so devotedly love! ..." Her tears fell fast, but they were not like those she had lately shed, and I saw my hope brighten in them."

David // David Copperfield by Charles Dickens


4) "Instead of falling a sacrifice to an irresistible passion, as once she had fondly flattered herself with expecting,---instead of remaining even for ever with her mother, and finding her only pleasures in retirement and study, as afterwards in her more calm and sober judgment she had determined on,---she found herself, at nineteen, submitting to new attachments, entering on new duties, placed in a new home, a wife, the mistress of a family, and the patroness of a village."

Marianne // Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen


5) "...the lily face looked out with sweet gravity from under a grey Quaker bonnet, neither smiling nor blushing, but with lips trembling a little under the weight of solemn feelings. Adam, as he pressed her arm to his side, walked with his old erectness and his head thrown rather backward as if to face all the world better; but it was not because he was particularly proud this morning, as is the wont of bridegrooms, for his happiness was of a kind that had little reference to men's opinion of it."

Dinah & Adam // Adam Bede by George Eliot


6) "I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach."

Captain Wentworth // Persuasion by Jane Austen


7) "She thought of him inescapably. She ached for him. She wanted his arms around her -- his face against hers -- his whispers in her ear. She recalled all his friendly looks and quips and jests -- his little compliments -- his caresses. She counted them all over as a woman might count her jewels -- not one did she miss from the first day they had met. These memories were all she could have now. ...Yet it would be better to forget. This agony of longing and loneliness would not be so terrible if one could forget."

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery


8) "Oh! had any one such just cause to feel contempt for her? Mr. Thornton, above all people, on whom she had looked down from her imaginary heights till now! She suddenly found herself at his feet, and was strangely distressed at her fall. She shrank from following out the premises to their conclusion, and so acknowledging to herself how much she valued his respect and good opinion."

Margaret // North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell


9) "She loved Gilbert---had always loved him! She knew that now. She knew that she could no more cast him out of her life without agony than she could have cut off her right hand and cast it from her."

Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery


10) "Gilbert, what is the matter with you?---why are you so changed?---It is a very indiscreet question I know,' she hastened to add: 'perhaps, a very rude one---don't answer if you think so---but I hate mysteries and concealments.' 'I am not changed, Helen---unfortunately I am as keen and passionate as ever---it is not I, it is circumstances that are changed.' 'What circumstances? Do tell me!' Her cheek was blanched with the very anguish of anxiety..."

Markham & Helen // The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte


11) "I cannot make speeches, Emma:"---he soon resumed; and in a tone of such sincere, decided, intelligible tenderness as was tolerably convincing."

Mr. Knightley // Emma by Jane Austen

 

12) "Jo thought that was splendid, and resolved to be worthy of her knight, though he did not come prancing in on a charger in gorgeous array. 'What made you stay away so long?' she asked presently, finding it so pleasant to ask confidential questions and get delightful answers that she could not keep silent."

Jo // Little Women by Louisa May Alcott


13) "Her heart did whisper, that he had done it for her. But it was a hope shortly checked by other considerations... For herself she was humbled; but she was proud of him. Proud that in a cause of compassion and honour, he had been able to get the better of himself. She read over her aunt's commendation of him again and again. It was hardly enough; but it pleased her."

Elizabeth // Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen


14) "Theirs was that substantial affection which arises (if any arises at all) when the two who are thrown together begin first by knowing the rougher sides of each other's character, and not the best till further on, the romance growing up in the interstices of a mass of hard prosaic reality. This good-fellowship--camaraderie--usually occurring through similarity of pursuits, is unfortunately seldom superadded to love between the sexes, because men and women associate, not in their labours, but in their pleasures merely. Where, however, happy circumstance permits its development, the compounded feeling proves itself to be the only love which is strong as death--that love which many waters cannot quench, nor the floods drown, beside which the passion usually called by the name is evanescent as steam." 

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy 

~

Livia Rachelle // 5 (+5 bonus points)

Hamlette // 6 (+6 bonus points)

Movie Critic // 2 (+2 bonus points)

Gabby // 4 (+3 bonus points)

4 comments:

  1. Lol, I did so poorly! Ugh, I knew I should've guessed #2 as Jane Eyre! I "knew" some of the others but never would've been able to guess them. Aha, I knew the "jewels" one was familiar! The Blue Castle didn't even enter my head. I am now going to have to reread all of these books and pay more attention. I'm just relieved that I got the ones for North & South and Pride & Prejudice because I couldn't call them my third and fourth favorite books of all time if I hadn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really should have known more of these! I've read ever single one of these except the Hardy one, and several of those I've read I read 2-3 times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I knew I would kick myself over some of these, lol! But I'm pleased with my score nonetheless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh... wow some of those were sneaky. XD I'm surprised I didn't get the David Copperfield one! I must need to re-read the book.... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...