Thursday, July 28, 2022

LOWCW 2022 || My Tag Answers

A bunch of my answers on these could overlap, hence I've kinda just shifted them round so everything fits nicely. Also, some of my other favorites (ahem and ahem) don't fit neatly on this list... So! Just keep those messy considerations in mind while reading. 💜

Let us to it!

1) Favorite western focused on a lone hero?

W:DOA. At least all the eps I've been able to see thus far / I really need to catch up with the last of them asap. I have all the seasons, I just need to get back at it. (You know how it goes, what with one thing and another and general random distractions.) 

And yes, lest there be any doubt, that's Wanted: Dead or Alive.


2) Favorite western focused on a group of compadres?

TMS & Silverado immediately spring to mind, of course, but as aforementioned they're needed elsewhere + this one just has to be Open Range

Definitely Open Range. 💓💓💓

 


3) Favorite western with a female main character?

Um, I guess True Grit?

 
 

4) Favorite western with a POC main character?

Silverado.

 
 

5) Favorite western with kids in it?

The Apple Dumpling Gang. Just all around classic and sweet.

And classic. 


(Love Comes Softly could also be a runner up. Sometimes it's just the perfect smoosh of -- don't laugh -- really quite fairly realistic romance. There. I said it. XD)
 

6) Favorite western set somewhere other than the United States?

The Magnificent Seven. 😭💙



7) Favorite "western" that doesn't fit the genre's dictionary definition?

Does Zorro count??? I've been aching to shoehorn it in somehow so this seems like the perfect moment. XD

Well, seeing as I'm one of the hosts of this grand event, I'm going to invoke my privilege and say it counts. 

Yes, yes indeed.


 

8) Favorite funny western?

Hmmm. I actually don't tend to watch straight up comedy westerns all that often (though a lot of my favorites have a judicious mix of hilarious, poignantly perfect funny moments), but Maverick does make me laugh.



9) Favorite tragic/sad western?

The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck. The movie as a whole isn't desperately sad, but it's one I cried over, and still want to cry thinking about, so definitely counts.

 


10) Favorite western TV show?

Longmire. I don't recommend w/o qualifications, but it's an epic combination of western themes and crime so....... yeah.



What do you think? Do we have any answers in common? Let me know in the comments! :)

6 comments:

  1. It's true, some of the Love Comes Softly movies really are quite reasonable. I like that the first one is relatively understated, you know?

    I'm excited to watch Silverado (hopefully next year!) and I've seen a couple of people mention Maverick as well, so I'm planning to look into that one.

    Fun answers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wanted: Dead or Alive! Josh Randall is the best. <3

    The Gunfighter is free on YouTube, so I'm planning to watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Apple Dumpling Gang would definitely be my answer for "funny Western," and probably "Western with kids" too! I'll never forget how hard my whole family laughed the first time we watched it when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zorro! I can never get enough of him and need to see more versions. I was wondering if this counted, so I'm happy we agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um I think I accidentally either deleted or published a half-written comment! Ooops! Let's see if I can recapture what I was saying...

    MMMMMMmmmmm. W:DOA is so good. So many meaty stories wrapped up so satisfyingly in less than 30 minutes! And Josh Randall is incredibly lovable. As in, I love him incredibly much. My favorite character on the '90s TV version of Magnificent Seven is a former bounty hunter and carries a sawed-off rifle just like Josh's. It's a little homage from the showrunners to Steve McQueen and W:DOA. So cool.

    Speaking of the TV version of Mag7, Dale Midkiff plays one of the Seven on it, and now I just need to see the Love Comes Softly movies for him.

    Zorro totally counts as a non-traditional western because it's... different. Totally different. More swashbuckler than western. But still a western.

    I have been curious about Longmire. Do you think I'd like it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this first a week a so or go, and when I got to Love Comes Softly, I pretty much was like, yes, I want to go rewatch that right now.

    Now I'm going through the posts adding more Westerns to my list.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...