Thursday, July 27, 2023

LOWCW 2023 || My tag answers

Yep! It's high time for me to post my answers to our party tag for this year. So let us to it, pronto.


Stetson --  a favorite hero moment (i.e. highlighting their character and/or making a pivotal decision etc)

This boardwalk moment... Ringo unabashedly pursuing his bride. Words are failing me on this scene, so if you want more you'd better pop over to the bottom of my full review for Stagecoach here. I stand behind everything I wrote then and you can see why it's my top favorite classic western of all time.


Petticoat -- a favorite heroine moment

This was actually one of the hardest to nail down, but I finally decided to just stick a pin in it and say the first scene where they meet Sue in Open Range (reviewed here). From almost the first moment we see her she exudes womanliness -- forthrightness, sturdiness, and clear-sighted realism, yet all with undiminished kindness and grace. And, over time, found tried and true as steel.


Canteen -- a favorite scene with a leader/mentor

Literally any scene between these two in The Tin Star.

 

Gloves -- a favorite sidekick/friend scene

Don't have a pic of the exact shootout scene from Shadow on the Mesa I have in mind, but it features these two, who over the course of the film have gone from strangers to comrades to blood brothers.


Canyon -- a favorite western landscape

Well there's this.

And I have been known to cry driving up through Yellowstone's Lamar Valley. ;)

Oh. But yeah, if we're being purists about anything film related, then the Longmire cabin and surroundings.

Open Range is also pretty stunning.

<333 

 

Pistol -- a favorite fight scene


The final shootout in The Fastest Gun Alive

 

Saddle -- a favorite horse / animal in a western

Clarice xD (Apple Dumpling Gang)

 

Sky -- a favorite ambitious / crazy plan in a western


This foursome walking down the road and into legend (Tombstone)

 

Rifle -- a favorite scene with an antagonist  

The whole dousing-the-lights-and-facing-down-the-Bad-Guys-while-straddling-a-chair-with-an-unloaded-gun scene is always thrilling in Angel and the Badman.

 

Chuckwagon -- a favorite meal scene 

Ok, besides the tea discussion in Open Range (which is undeniably cute), I just keep thinking of different scenes with men scraping beans off tin plates, so... for an actual communal meal with all sorts of underground messages flying round, I have to default to Stagecoach again. (I know, I know, but it really does have everything.) 

Or quite honestly, if I'm in a sentimental, autumnal mood, any of a number of scenes in Love Comes Softly.


Badge -- a favorite scene with peace officers / sheriff

Apple Dumplings aside, I do always enjoy the twisteroo with the marshal at the end of either version of Angel and the Badman. (Full review with appropriate highlights and caveats for this newer one hopefully coming at a later date.)

EDIT: had to come back and adjust this one because I finally remembered where the scene came from that had been niggling at the back of my mind: where Sheriff Holden is going on in Love Begins about how his grandfather could creep up and catch a jackrabbit by the ears. It's always humorous, how he pops round, irritating our hero while being very deadpan about it all. But since LB is basically a very Hallmark 2.0 of Angel and the Badman, that would actually all kinda fit with my original answer. ;D

Lariat -- a favorite cattle drive/roundup 

Open Range tops the list

I also loved the growing backbone and camaraderie development in City Slickers (note: though I've only seen it once so can't entirely vouch for every plot detail ;)) 

~


(Just signing off with this pic to add some general cuteness to your feed.)

 

So there ye have it! I'd love to hear your thoughts and if we enjoy any particular scenes in common!

2 comments:

  1. Stagecoach (1939) is glorious. *happy sigh*

    Open Range is a great answer for the landscape question -- I should have thought of that one.

    Your mention of Love Comes Softly (and the cute li'l pic at the end of the post ;)) have put me in mind to write a ranking of all the movies, and I'm now very much looking forward to doing that. So, thank ya kindly for the inspiration. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ringo laying his cards on the table for Dallas is a wonderful moment indeed.

    The Tin Star is such a great movie when it comes to mentoring. Reluctant mentoring, but still.

    Ohhhh, the ending of The Fastest Gun Alive has all the feels. I think I'm going to show that one to my kids before the summer is over.

    Clarice is awesome :-D So patient, most of the time.

    Any thought of the Earps and Doc walking down to that corral just gives me goosebumps. Real guys did that. They really just walked on down the street toward a whole lot of enemies they knew wanted them dead. Amazing.

    That scene in Angel and the Badman is #WritingGoals, isn't it? Wow.

    So many good westerns out there!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...