Monday, July 22, 2024

Movie Review || The Rare Breed (1966) with James Stewart & Maureen O'Hara

(Dvd summary) "Veteran western director Andrew V. McLaglen puts his brand on this exciting story, based on America's acquisition of English Hereford cattle (which would phase out Texas longhorns). In the 1880's, Englishwoman Martha Price (Maureen O'Hara) and her daughter Hilary (Juliet Mills) come to America to sell their prize Hereford bull at an auction. When he is purchased by Bowen, a wild Scotsman (Brian Keith), the women hire a footloose cowhand named Burnett (James Stewart) to help them transport the animal to its new owner. So begins an adventure that tests the mettle of all involved as they battle killers, cattle stampedes -- and each other. But when they reach Bowen's ranch, even greater obstacles force them to summon up extraordinary courage if they, and the prize bull, are to survive."

So we were in the middle of a massive heat wave awhile ago and any motivation to get writing was somehow at an all time low, but I popped this in (first time I've seen it!) and -- just from the title menu -- the spunky soundtrack popped me into western mode. xD I love the soundtrack.

The beginning of the film gets off to a jubilant start. And here I'm gonna insert a little breakdown of the characters (as much for my own future reference as anything else), because I did find all the conflicting names and interests in the beginning slightly confusing.

There are:

  • Martha Evans: the mother
  • Hilary: the daughter
  • Charles Ellsworth: their fellow Englishman all dressed up in fine clothes who wins the bid on Vindicator
  • Alexander Bowen: Ellsworth's business partner who actually runs the ranch in Texas
  • John Taylor: the competing rancher who wants Vindicator and has the ever-suspect Jack Elam, aka 'Deke' in here, working for him
  • Burnett (Jimmy Stewart): a free acting cowboy who *SPOILERS* is hired to transport Vindicator to Bowen in TX, but (in the interest of trying to make money / fleece Taylor in order to help an old friend) initially plans to steal Vindicator and hand him over to Taylor

Ok, I think that's all the primary names that come up in the first half of the film.

One thing I enjoyed -- and found particularly unique about this one -- is having the daughter, Hilary, be so clear-eyed when it comes to affairs of the heart (and various other things in general), but without acting like the older generation are complete idiots -- things are just complicated. Anyway, I had to giggle as I found myself identifying with her repeatedly.

When it comes to Martha (Maureen O'Hara), I love how she has backbone, but is still realistically slightly unsure of herself at times. I also love how she can stand her ground and speak her mind (using the business end of a rifle as a prop, if necessary), but all while being absolutely feminine and womanly.

So, at some point near the beginning, I admit I was dubious cause I thought the conflict might be handled more goofily than not ;P, but... I understand a girl who loves her cow + the British loving bit of me was just tickled throughout. It's also fun to see Jimmy Stewart being a grouch. So I was quickly won over.

All throughout there are complexities and obstacles to overcome and gray characters -- not in a legendary sense, but most of them the everyday sort of gray. Characters, too, who own up to their errors and try to forge a path forward.

So the first half is all about getting to the destination (all well done) and then the second half is after they've arrived at the long fabled compound. The high turning point between the two was quite memorable and exciting, *spoilers* what with the cattle stampede and the young stranger having an accident and all. (Though I must admit, the way they tossed and hauled Jamie around after he might have had a spinal injury... 😬🫣)

And upon arrival, we get our first look at Alex Bowen. I was absolutely not expecting him to be as he was. XD It's like someone at the studio had the bright idea of creating a Scotch-English conflict carryover to the new world (which indeed it probably did), but anyway, it's just so funny in an overtly old school classic western. Plus, he looks more like a mountain man who then turned rancher. As we go along, the Scotch brogue... Jamie and Hilary in the background not knowing what to make of developments... it's hilarious. And so interesting. I also couldn't help noticing the old world, almost Alpine charm in the proposal scene.

It's clear that a lot (not all, but a lot) of it is shot on a sound stage, but this is a classic western, so suspension of disbelief, folks. Such things are the nature of the territory and most emphatically not something worth quibbling over.

Now the story did make me all curious about the history of Longhorns, Herefords, and Angus; because in crisscrossing the west on road trips over the years, my general impression (if memory serves) is that by and large, Angus seem to dominate. But my travels have taken me far more into Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, etc. I've actually never been to Texas (apart from setting foot in a couple airports). So the ranch loving, writer part of me went into the weeds of cattle history to figure out if this was a thing. Turns out, it was!

So Texas Longhorns derived mostly from cattle brought to the Americas by the Spanish conquistadores, mixed with a bit of British stock. The Angus cattle we know today were first introduced in 1873 by crossing Scottish Angus bulls with Texas longhorns. And the initial herds were established by purchasing a lot of stock directly from Scotland. The American Angus Association, Est. in 1883, has since become the largest beef association in the world, and Angus is now the most common beef breed in America. Apparently, Angus thrive on the winter ranges, which makes them valuable in our climate, and they've proliferated abundantly all the way up into Canada. Hereford cattle were first introduced to America in 1817 (so before the Angus) by being imported from England. (Not quite historically accurate decade-wise to our current film, but I'm totally fine with the artistic license.) The early Herefords were actually often crossed with Shorthorn cattle (like quite a few of the cows I used to handle). And while Herefords have spread to Canada as well, apparently they're also hugely popular among beef breeders in Mexico and South America, along with, yes, Texas. I just find all that fascinating.

To quote from google and pertinent to our current review: "Hereford cattle have played a significant role in shaping the American beef industry, and their influence can still be seen today."

Back to our story proper. For all its lighthearted moments, the film morphs into something very poignant.

As a note: two crusty men set in their ways arguing over how they've both changed -- i.e. Jimmy Stewart fighting with a Scotchman -- is worth the price of admission.

*SPOILERS*

I will say I didn't expect the sad news about Vindicator. 

And at first I thought Hilary got a little too quickly indifferent to the loss of her favorite, but again, this is real pioneer days. She would be inured to it. Then, too, while I'm quite happy to not own cows at the moment, I do miss the cow-y-ness of cows (a bit like dogs, they are, but ever so much more so), and particularly miss my two favorite girls -- Georgia and Blossom. I still miss them, but...! They were cows. It's ok. So that's really Hilary's attitude here too. I do love how they work in a little homage at the end, letting us see him alive and well again during the credits. <3

Content wise: besides the emotional search for and sad news about Vindicator, there is a scene with a crazy man in a bathtub -- but the water's all very cloudy and altogether it's a pretty comedic scene. 

I'd say this film is definitely family friendly and may very well be an endearing new favorite. :) Let me know if you've seen it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun show! (Albeit one that I should never watch, because if the cow dies, I'd riot. ;-P But a fun show nevertheless!)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...