Thursday, July 25, 2019

More Fantabulous Westerns // Mini-Reviews

Trying to include something for everyone here, so kinda an eclectic, wide-ranging collection… Some are sweeping classics, some aren’t, and some may be considered so someday. Time’ll tell. ;) Also, I already referenced a few earlier this week, but wanted to include them here too in case anyone happens upon this post at a later date. (And again, they're all alphabetical.)

Anyhow, done with the preamble. (There, that wasn’t so bad, was it? ;)) Enjoy!


Angel and the Badman (1947) with John Wayne and Gail Russell

Altogether I generally enjoy this one -- even though Penny’s extreme Quaker-ism sometimes drives me up the wall a bit. ;P That might make it sound like the whole story’s pretty black-and-white (ha! no pun intended), but it’s not. They do a pretty good job of building all the attendant nuances and complexities and, in the end, it’s a tale of faith and redemption. If you’re in the mood for something unabashedly romantic and western, this’ll give it to you in spades. The entire casting is sooooo good (in fact I can’t imagine one thing I’d change in that regard) hence, the caveat I stated above notwithstanding, it’s still one of my top favorite John Wayne’s. Family friendly wise, there’s some shooting throughout and a bit of wildness at one point in the saloon, while Quirt and his friend are spending time with a couple ladies of the night (Quirt doesn’t stay, so that part’s ok), and depending on your view, the pacifist position leaves room for discussion. So basically pretty thoroughly clean, but, as always, I’d say parents discretion.


Love Begins (2011) with Wes Brown and Julie Mond

Soooo…. I’m not a big fan of the entire series (hence I just pretend this is a standalone with absolutely no connection to anything else whatsoever ;)) and being a traditional Hallmark the whole thing has that very new and squeaky clean feeling, but I still rather like this one and pull it out every once in a while. Seeing them side by side like this, I realized it’s actually a bit of a spin on the perennial theme of Angel and the Badman -- only with a bad guy that’s not quite so bad, and a girl who’s trying to figure herself out. So that’s interesting. In short, if you’re in the mood for something sweet and very romantic, I’m entirely happy to highly recommend it.


Love Comes Softly (2003) with Katherine Heigl and Dale Midkiff

I referenced this earlier on my Top 10 list, but (since then) I remembered I did indeed review it once upon a time! (I knew there was something niggling at the back of my mind about it, I just didn't think to check my own review list. :P) Anyhow! The link for my review is HERE, in case you'd now like to go ahead and check it out.


Shadow on the Mesa (2013) with Wes Brown and Kevin Sorbo

At the top of my favorites list, you can click HERE for my full review. It's currently not quuuuite my #1 of all time (as when I wrote the review), but it's still high on the list.


Silverado (1985) with Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Danny Glover, and Kevin Costner

I think I expected this to be a heavily buttered, farcical, slapstick comedy, but it’s not. It’s just plain and utter fun. The scenery really is amazing, and with the four main characters -- a bad boy turning good, a strong silent type, an underdog, and then the reckless daredevil -- there’s someone for most everyone to cheer for (if not for all four). Content-wise, I was most pleasantly surprised. There might be a bit of language (honestly can't quite remember on that one, but if there is it's not much); and the sister of one of the main characters has turned to prostitution, but it's all implied and doesn't show anything at all (saying even less outright than the situation with Helen Ramirez in High Noon) so if you didn't fully know the context it'd probably go right over your head. (It's portrayed as being bad, though, and something she needs to leave behind her, so that's good.) Oh, and two other characters kinda have a romp in the hay, but it's a fast moving scene and they're fully dressed etc., so again, not immediately obvious what's up or even how far it goes. Violence-wise, a man gets roped and ridden over by a horse and a family is attacked and their house set alight; and there's shooting and the stampeding of cattle -- which end scene is actually pretty thrilling -- and finally some unexpected knife play during a jail break, which is slightly dramatic as a lady is involved. (Speaking of the saloon girls, though, they actually have long full dresses, which is rather unusual but very nice.) Now ok, I know that all sounds like a veritable ton of stuff listed out that way, but I'm trying to be microscopically exhaustive and think of absolutely anything even remotely possible, with the end goal that you'll feel free to go ahead and check it out! Because honestly, it really is *frightfully* fun and (with a parental preview) I think highly enjoyable for young and old alike. :) :)


Stagecoach (1966) with Ann-Margret and Alex Cord

Also starring Bing Crosby, Robert Cummings, Van Heflin, Slim Pickens, and Keenan Wynn (plus with the whole artwork thing by Norman Rockwell), I was really interested to see this and excited to find the whole thing on Youtube. They make some changes from the 1939 (as is to be expected in a remake), one of the biggest being moving the whole setting from the southwest to Montana/Wyoming territory. That part, while creating a very different feel, was fine and dandy (and honestly, very beautiful in places). Unfortunately, they also took the liberty of filling in (read, tremendously making up) the script in places -- particularly with Dallas and Ringo’s lines, of which I’m NOT A FAN A’TALL as it changes their characters rather a lot deep down. (So yeah, I’m definitely up in arms about that. They kinda make it that, in essence, Dallas has to change first to achieve redemption -- and the 'redemption' is pretty much just for being high spirited and thoughtless -- whereas, well, y’all know my feelings about how that all works in the original. And per the ’04 N&S, you also know my thoughts on how reticence in a script factors in as far as powerful story-telling goes.) I do know some folks who really enjoy it though (hence it's inclusion on the list). Ultimately, I’m still glad I saw it and happy to recommend it as being family friendly (with a parental preview).


Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) with James Garner

An underrated, actually rather frightfully funny western spoof (yet never poking fun at just laughing with -- in other words, still going all out to be the real live thing) this is definitely worth checking out. A few small innuendos and some shots of saloon girls, but nothing too up close and personal.


The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975) with Don Knotts and Tim Conway, etc.

A thorough family classic. From casting to location to filming to score to funny and heart-warming story line -- it’s straight up comfort food. ;) A tip top favorite!


The Ballad of Lefty Brown (2017) with Bill Pullman

I've only seen this once to date, but I'm pretty sure it'll definitely be creeping up my favorites list over time. The short online description is rather terrible (as in, inaccurate, IMHO), but for a pretty good full length review you can check out this link or my Top 10 summary HERE. Having only seen Bill Pullman in four films thus far I’m not the most comprehensive judge, but while a very different role for him (I think), this is actually one of his most outstanding performances. (Personally, as of this moment, I liked him in it ever so much better than The Virginian.) As best I can remember there is some language, and it is quite bloody in places (though you can tell where it’s coming), but if you’re a fan of True Grit at all -- or generally love pursuit-of-justice sagas and/or stories with a good sidekick, etc. -- I think you may really enjoy this one. (And eeeesh, I know I already said it the other day, but the filming’s GOOORGEOUS.)


The Lone Ranger (2013) with Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp

Ok, so this one's... different. And crazy. And quirky. And fantastically fun and funny. And yes, when it comes to the Bad Guy (well, the gun toting one) also oft-times disturbing. (According to my husband, who likes it too) it's slapstick. But pretty hilariously deep slapstick. It's one wild ride of a tall tale, and it's one of those that's gonna need a full length, rambly, photo rich review one day, with all sorts of explanations. In the meanwhile, this'll have to do. ;) It has a tight, well done, overarching plot, but with the way it plays out stuff literally just keeps popping on the screen and you never know what'll jump up next. If you pay attention to the subtext and all the details there're all sorts of clever and interesting intricacies and details. And cinematically theatrical, it also has one of the grandest, stunning-est train chases of all time. Content-wise, the bad guys are very very very nasty and there's also a flashback of an Indian massacre.  And there're a couple scenes with ladies of the night (they're not staying with them or anything, just trying to figure out what all is going on, with the bad guys jumping along about 45 seconds behind them, so they stay just long enough for a fast conversation ;)). But anyhow, the ladies are dressed very accordingly. Altogether I'd say it's definitely more for an older audience (so, parents discretion; personally I would say over 15 or so), but if you're interested in a newer, vividly colorful, fast paced, mythological, tall tale of a western, it might be just the ticket.


The Ransom of Red Chief (1998) with Christopher Lloyd and Haley Joel Osment

I’d still like to find the earlier version/s, but regardless I think this one’s still enjoyable. (I will say I started enjoying it more about halfway in when I realized the whole shebang’s supposed to be a grandiose overreaction of a tall tale, with a bit -- or a whole lot -- of slapstick thrown in.) Clean, but would recommend for an older crowd of young folks due to the plot revolving around a kidnapping, plus there being a hen-pecked husband, some bad parenting, and less than great parent/child communication. It all works out in the end though *SPOILERS* and we have a lovely scene with the family heading off in their horseless carriage to the Buffalo Bill Show. :D (Sheesh, wouldn't I just love to be along in that scenario... ;D <3) END SPOILERS** Also final note, the props and setting are excellent, so that’s a pleasant surprise.


The Virginian (1929) with Gary Cooper and Mary Brian

AT LAST!!!! I've seen all three full length versions of this and (in my very opinionated opinion), the b/w of this rendition best recreates all the epic, 'distant', saga-like feel -- the longing and reticence and want-more-ing-ness -- of the original story, of the wide sprawling west itself. It's delightful to see Friar Tuck as a cowboy, and (a very young) GC is PERFECT in the role of the Virginian. This version shows the most of the daredevilry mischief making of the early part of the story and I love the balance that strikes; it highlights how the lighthearted, teasing cowhand then goes through hell to become the heartsore, tortured, larger than life man of legend. I started watching it on YouTube, but the quality's not so great so I hunted down a DVD. It also has a predecessor to Val Kilmer’s, “I’m your huckleberry” line. I knew it was a common historical saying, but I’ve never heard it anywhere else in films so can’t help wondering if there’s some sort of nod going on there. (Of course, it could just be coincidental, but one can’t help hoping all the same. ;)) So yes, squeals and sniffles and tingles, and if you can by any means see it, then see it!! <3 <3 <3

(P.S. It's also a talkie, not a silent film. Just to clarify that. ;))


The Virginian (1946) with Joel McCrea and Barbara Britton

I was trying to have super low expectations going into this and then as it started playing out I was in jitters the whole time lest they miserably bungle it somehow. But guys, they didn't. (Well, not very much anyway. ;P) This is allllllmost, but very definitely not quite (i.e. they did adjust or leave out entirely a couple of my favorite moments) a shot for shot, saturated Technicolor remake of the 1929 version. I do think every single person is pretty perfectly cast, and they do an excellent job showing the heartache of trying to keep your dearest friend on the straight and narrow, and the cutting pain when ultimately you have to let them make their own decisions -- and then everything gets rough and the camaraderie cuts to the heart. The main characters are really good together and I really like the Judge and his wife in this one (she could actually have a whole character sketch to herself). In the end, I think it’ll totally be personal preference (or what you feel like watching on a given day) which of the two, this or the 1929, you might prefer. And if you just want to see the story it's currently a lot easier getting your hands on a copy of this version. So yes, it's quite beautiful and highly recommended and make sure to add it to your watch list! (Oh, and with parental guidance, both this and the 1929 are clean and family friendly.)


Tombstone (1993) with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer, etc.

Historically speaking, I’m still not exactly sure what I think of the whole murky business at the O.K. Corral, but, regardless, this is certainly one epic of a western. Someday I really want to do a scene-by-scene review of this entire film, with all it's splendid zingy one liners and stunning camera angles, but for the moment I’ll just try and piece together a few sentences. I think the plot line's pretty well known (i.e. the friendship between the Earp brothers and Doc Holliday and then the nest of trouble they land in with the Cowboys and the subsequent justice/vengeance quest) so I'll just focus on content. (Due to the bad guys) there's a tragic fiesta wedding scene at the beginning and the whole tale is very bloody in parts. They do follow (fairly-ish accurately) the historical plot points. Unfortunately, that does mean some (very historical) looser women are involved. Doc Holliday has his lady companion (who's also kinda his sidekick and accomplice). And then... it does have the woman Wyatt Earp gets involved with and eventually takes as his second wife. There aren't any "scenes" between them (they don't even kiss or anything till the end after he's a widower), but they do go horse riding and have some deep talks. That part I'm not thrilled about, but from everything I've heard and read the gist is quite accurate to Earp's real life story. (Oh, and there are some nude paintings in one of the gambling halls.) So yes, definitely intense and for an older audience, but (I think) powerful, thought-provoking, and thematically deep.

**And now here's a highly important bit so sit up and take note ;D**: Bruce Broughton's musical score is pretty much my all time favorite western theme. Even if you don't want or feel interested at the current time in watching the film, you HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS FOLLOWED IMMEDIATELY BY THIS. (They're each just like two and a half minutes.) And then be sure to comment and tell me what you think. ;D I hope you love it! 


Toy Story 2 (1999)

Okay, this may very definitely, not at all, be a western in the typical sense, but me loves the juxtaposition of cowboy and space sagas (lots more thoughts on cowboys in space another time ;D). And with its themes of loyalty, true friendship, combating overwhelming odds by the seat of your pants, etc. in many ways it feels like it fits right in with the great western tradition. Also, y’know, it’s just all around fantastic storytelling. It's nostalgic, but I love how happy and hopeful and forward looking it is -- the west and space (both archetypes of exploration, adventure, and new frontiers) have a lot more in common than might appear at first. And (sometimes) talking all this western stuff can feel kinda past tense-ish, but this is a rootin’ tootin’ reminder that the real heart and soul of the Golden Era of Cowboys is absolutely never gonna be obsolete (especially if I've got anything to do with it... no way, pard'ner!). Silly as it may sound, this movie always makes me remember we don’t belong to ourselves, in the end it’s not really all about us, and life is given to be lived -- lived with everything you’ve got. So yeah, love it! ;D


Westward Ho, the Wagons! (1956) with Fess Parker, Kathleen Crowley, and Jeff York

A great family film, I reviewed it a few years ago HERE.

~     ~     ~

So there are some more lovely western-y films to enjoy. ;) I'd love to hear if you've seen any of them or found some new ones!

5 comments:

  1. You have introduced me to some newer TV movies of which I was not aware. Plus, you have jogged my memory big-time! Westward Ho, the Wagons is something I haven't thought of in years.

    Support Your Local Sheriff! is a movie I have covered twice on my blog. You know how it is, you really like something, and you just know other people will like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Mmmmm, Angel and the Badman is so delicious.

    2. I've not seen this.

    3. Dale Midkiff again! There he is, without his mustache! Cracking me up.

    4. I'm so glad you introduced me to Shadow on the Mesa. I ended up giving my dad a copy for Christmas that year, I liked it so well!

    5. Silverado is wonderful. I need to rewatch it.

    6. I haven't seen this yet, mostly cuz I adore the original Stagecoach so much.

    7. One of my family's favorite movies, and one we quote All The Time. Have you ever seen Texas Across the River? It's another western spoof we love. Currently my kids' favorite western, actually.

    8. I've loved this movie since I was little. My kids like it too.

    9. Just discovered that Amazon Prime has Lefty Brown for free right now, so added it to my watchlist!

    10. MY HONEYS!!! Definitely some slapstick going on, but also some amazing character development. Very much looking forward to a longer review of it from you. Fun fact: a guy we knew in college is in this movie! Steve Corona, playing the young Cole in the flashbacks.

    11. I've not seen this, but I've seen the earlier version with Jack Elam, I think it was? It made me laugh a lot. I was like 10.

    12. I. Need. To. See. This.

    13. I was really disappointed by this version of The Virginian, sorry.

    14. I love Tombstone. As you say, it has its issues, but overall, I love it. Mostly because of Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday. It's true, and there's no sense denying it.

    15. :-)

    16. Argh, I still haven't seen this!

    11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Tombstone music Heidi. Particularly the second piece--it was just grand!

    I need to plan to listen to the entire soundtrack one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Apple Dumpling Gang is one heck of a good movie. I have every single line and sound effect ingrained into my mind. That's what comes from watching it too much when we were little ;D
    That Virginian with Gary Cooper looks so wonderful. I love Gary Cooper and I'm always impressed when a silent movie impresses me, if you get what I mean ;D I hope I can watch it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Support Your Local Sheriff is sounding more and more appealing. And I'm looking forward to watching Tombstone. ;)

    Yeah, I enjoyed Angel and the Badman. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...