Monday, July 22, 2019

My Current Top 10 Favorite Western Films


First off, a proviso: I don’t really think of my top favorites as being in competition, so consider this a rough approximation. (Also, there’s a newer tv series I’ve left off entirely even though it looms HUGE and I enjoy it to bits, and for many and various reasons it’s kinda miles ahead of some of my other favorites, but it would require too many explanations and qualifications -- and ultimately isn’t that old yet -- so I’ve temporarily left it off. Maybe in future I’ll have more time to expand on it. ;))


And this isn’t a list of what I consider the most classic, groundbreaking, or genre-setting westerns. That’s an entirely different thing. This is just (as of this moment) my personal favorites, the ones that’ve resonated with or impacted me the most -- or just that I catch myself thinking about most often.

(And I did mention that my final top three favorites jostle round periodically, right? They usually end up the way I’ve listed them though… Generally. Most of the time. Wow, I’m being really decisive, aren’t I? I’m sure you get the idea. ;P) Also, these fit into other categories as well so I’ll be posting more on most of them later in the week, along with some content notes.

Okay, so without further ado and perambulation, here goes!


10. Love Comes Softly (2003) with Katherine Heigl and Dale Midkiff

Yes, I knooow… It’s a slightly soupy Hallmark -- and some of the theology’s a bit off -- but I really do love this one. It’s relaxing to watch and just simple, sweet, and beautiful through and through. <333


9. The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975)

Just because. Well, I mean, obviously. ;)


8. The Ballad of Lefty Brown (2017) with Bill Pullman

Eeeeee.... sheesh, I don’t hardly know what to say on this one. Watching it, I kept debating whether I felt ambivalent or even disliked it, but then I really came to enjoy it (and have kept thinking about it ever since) so here ‘tis. It’s really unusual. With a heavy bow to classic westerns, the entire thing is one powerful, punching ode to The Sidekick: with a beautiful, wistful, autumnal-yet-coming-of-age thing going on, and themes of passing the torch, legends and reality, and old old friendships, loyalties, and betrayal. And, folks, the scenery is breathtaking, breathtaking. <3 So yeah, just all sorts of emotions. *sniffs*


7. Silverado (1985) with Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Danny Glover, and Kevin Costner

An archetypically good western, I think it was the second time through where I started really loving it. (What with Paden’s whole character arc, y’know; and the excellently rendered, tried-and-true theme of odd-bedfellows having each other’s back. And then there’s the whole developing-respect/friendship thing between Paden and Stella. And then John Cleese’s cameo appearance brings in the whole British humor thing… So yeah, onto the list it goes. ;D)


6. Union Pacific (1939) with Joel McCrea and Barbara Stanwyck

I was utterly and totally surprised by how much this one stood out. An epic of epics, full of railroad barons, Indians, twinkly-eyed cantankerous old mountain men, handsome teasing gamblers and gunmen, and a sniffly love triangle… The whole story takes the camaraderie/friends having each other’s backs -- honor and sacrifice -- thing to an entirely epic level. (Yes, and I’m fully aware I just used the word epic three times in two sentences. ;D) A bit intense for family night (maybe over 12 or so) *SPOILERS* and there is a bit of quick kissing of the heroine from both parties of gentlemen after the wedding (though technically the marriage hadn’t been consummated, also Party A and Party B both knew B only married A to save C, but C didn’t know that -- ok, now I’m giving waaaaay too many spoilers) -- anyhow, suffice to say it’s a bit of a complex mess. But all three main parties honestly care about each one of the others, which makes for a really different, memorable tale. And of course there’s the epic-ness (there, that’s four times, I’m stopping). *END OF SPOILERS* You just gotta check it out for yourself ASAP.


5. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) with John Wayne

After Stagecoach, my second favorite John Wayne. I reviewed it HERE.


4. The Virginian (1929) with Gary Cooper and Mary Brian

Eeeesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot BELIEVE I almost decided not to watch this one, but then did (for the sake of thoroughness because it was On The List after all) and, well, you can just see what happened. ;D That’s all I can say at present, but keep your eyes peeled for more thoughts coming later in the week. (Oh, but I will grab a moment to mention that if you don’t think a 1929 b/w film can get you all choked up and cheery-feeling and heartsore and reduce you to an emotional puddle, then think again. ;))


3. The Fastest Gun Alive (1956) with Glenn Ford and Jeanne Crain

I love this one so much I was strongly tempted to make a longer review, but couldn’t think of any way to help giving away too many details. In short, though, me loves it. (Okay, that’s rather obvious.) Oh! And Glenn Ford’s character also gets a pretty amazing sheepskin jacket… just in case that’s relevant in some way. A bit more coming later in the week!


2. Stagecoach (1939) with John Wayne and Claire Trevor

Always. <333 (My review’s HERE iffen y’care to check it out.)


1. Shadow on the Mesa (2013) with Wes Brown and Kevin Sorbo

Sooo yes, it’s stylized and sliiiightly farfetched in some plot points ;P, but -- with the loyalties, father-son, coming-of-age, shoulder-to-shoulder brother business -- I always end up almost crying by the end. I reviewed it HERE a couple years ago.

So there’s my current list! (Minus a whole bunch of films fighting for #11 -- in fact they actually keep wanting to pop up into 9 and 10, so you’ll likely be hearing about all of them MUCH more in the near future. ;D)

Have you seen and loved any of these? I’d love to hear what you think and if we have any favorites in common!

6 comments:

  1. Quite the eclectic and interesting list. It is special when a movie moves you enough to make it to a coveted list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY WORD! THAT WAS DALE MIDKIFF IN LOVE COMES SOFTLY?!?!?!?!?

    ::Faints::

    ::Revives::

    Dale Midkiff! Is in the short-lived '90s TV show The Magnificent Seven! Which I am currently addicted to! Like, am on my second run through the series, that kind of addicted. Like, I'm expecting that we will run this blog party again next year so I can do a full series guide for it, as I feel like I need to watch all the eps yet again before I can do them justice.

    Okay, wow. I will have to watch the Love Comes Softly thing at my mom's next time I visit. Dude. I saw it once, but I hadn't seen Mag7 yet, and dude. Duuuuuuude.

    The only ones here I have NOT seen are The Ballad of Lefty Brown, Union Pacific, and The Virginian. I've seen two other versions of The Virginian, though. I love the Bill Pullman version from the '90s and I don't like the Joel MacRae version because it's kind of dull. Still want to see the Gary Cooper version.

    Still kind of goggle-eyed over the fact that that was Dale Midkiff. Of course it was. Just without the mustache. Huh. Huh, huh, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Stagecoach, which is a classic, The Apple Dumpling Gang, which is a riot, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, which I'm fond of even though it isn't my top favorite of the 'cavalry trilogy'! And you've piqued my interest about Shadow On the Mesa and Union Pacific here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you've intrigued me with "The Ballad of Lefty Brown." Now I must 'vestigate.

    Also "The Virginian." And I've been needing to 'vestigate "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" for a while, so you can't necessarily take credit for that, I suppose, but we must give you props for reminding me of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any movie with Joel McCrea is worth seeing, so I'd definitely like to see "Union Pacific"! It's crazy seeing such a young Robert Preston!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to watch some of these!! Especially Union Pacific, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Silverado, The Fastest Gun Alive...pretty much all of the ones I haven't seen. ;D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...