Tuesday, July 23, 2019

~ My Tag Answers for Legends of Western Cinema Week 2019 ~


~Legends of Western Cinema Week Tag~

1) Do you tolerate, like, or love westerns?

LOVE them. As in all the way, deep down, can’t get enough of them.


2) What do you enjoy about them and, more broadly, the west itself (e.g. the history, accompanying paraphernalia, etc)?

Ok, not to keep procrastinating on ya, but I have an entire post coming on this later in the week, so some of this’ll simply have to be deferred till then (i.e. there’s rather a lot to be said on the character development you find in great western films). But in short, there’s just the sweeping incredibleness of it all. It’s a coming home, a being-in-one’s-own-skin sorta feeling. (Oh, and also sagebrush: light and green across the sandy soil… dry and gray at the end of summer… I love, love, love the stuff.) I’ve crisscrossed the country quite a few times and one of my most memorable life experiences was visiting the Battle of the Little Bighorn. One time was in the heat of summer, with the wind and long grass, and the other time was late in the year. We were on a deadline (to get to a wedding, I think) so it was just after dawn on a super cold frosty November-ish morning. The paths were actually all closed, due to being slicked up with ice, but there was a heavy mist on the whole hill as the sun came up, and then all the frozen heavy grass and hoarfrost started to shimmer. And you’re literally out in the middle of nowhere -- looking down toward the river bed and open country. And, besides the wind, it’s very silent and very cold. Definitely one of the most eerie, powerful, mind and emotion grabbing moments I’ve ever experienced. And the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is a favorite place. Though when last I went they’d taken a bunch of things off display (i.e. furniture, some of Annie Oakley’s dresses, etc.), so hoping they’ll reinstate those items eventually.


3) What's the first western you can remember watching?

It’d definitely have to be Apple Dumpling Gang. It's like Winnie the Pooh, to be enjoyed by young and old, and always excellent.


4) Who are your favorite western stars, the ones whose presence in a western will make you pick it up off the shelf?

Currently, Glenn Ford, Steve McQueen, Joel McCrea, and Gary Cooper (especially his early ones). And I really really wish there were more westerns with Val Kilmer or Armie Hammer.


5) What's your favorite performance by an actress in a western?

Not to be redundant, cause y’all already know I love it, but, since Claire Trevor’s performance is (one) of the main reasons I do in the first place, it has to be Dallas in the 1939 Stagecoach. She does such a beyond outstanding job. Her subtle, deeply emotional turns of expression, portraying a character who really can't say much, because there's nothing really to be said. And in that very fact there's a whole world of depth and story. There’s nothing she can do and she doesn’t hardly dare let hope even start glimmering, because she knows perfectly well the horrible truth, that nothing can really change. Ever. But then there's the redemption that comes. (I have mentioned it’s one of my overarchingly, heart-throbbingly, magnificently favorite plot points across all literature and film, right? After all, two of my favorite stories of all time are North & South and Crime & Punishment. It's in the reticence of all good and powerful storytelling.) Because the prince loves her. So it's in her entire character arc of the fallen princess being loved to the grave, being redeemed, being crowned before the world.

So yes, much to be expanded on there and major tingles. <3 


6) What is your "go-to" western, the one you'll typically reach for?

Ooh, that really depends. Lately it’s been Silverado. Whenever I want a really epic western fix, I guess it’s generally a John Wayne of some sort. But there're some other shows and humorous ones particularly that we'll pull out for afternoon laundry or at the end of a long day.


7) Do your family/friends share your interest in westerns, or are you a lone ranger (pun completely intended)?

Yup, they do. Half my siblings like them quite well enough and the other half are crazy about them. And my Liege Lord has introduced me to a whole pile o' new westerny classics since we got married. (Oh, and my Little Buddy seems to quickly be becoming a thorough fan... She pays close attention and, with earnest excitement, says "oofalo", "cows", and "hissies" unprompted when they come onscreen. So yay! ;))


8) Pick one western to live inside for a week, and explain why you chose it.

I was actually a little stumped on this one. The very first thing springing to mind is Ringo's ranch "just south of the border." (I always picture it as a beautiful, refreshing, peaceful, safe little western oasis -- with cattle and split rail fencing, and a little long low ranch house with a pond and green dappled willow shade -- so yes, most definitely!) But since I've been referencing Stagecoach rather a lot already, I'll actually pick the 1946 Virginian (sorry, Hamlette! ;P). I love wild, scary, crazy adventure tales, but in real life I'd be absolutely terrified of living anywhere seriously in danger of an Indian raid, etc. The Virginian (the '46 film particularly) is kinda halfway second-generation-ish frontier, so lots of excitement, good guys and bad guys, etc., but even the bad guys know how to be respectful around the womenfolk. And it's in Wyoming (I'm pretty absolutely sure the filming location's not, but y'know, it's supposed to be). Oh, and the cattlemen ranchers are the good guys. (Well, the conflict is all within the ranching world, but you get the idea.) And there's a nice little town and the railroad's within a day's ride. So that all sounds pretty perfect.


9) What are some of your favorite lines from western movies? Are there any you quote regularly?

I don’t tend to quote them, but I definitely have a lot of favorites. Here are a handful that spring to mind:

~“I just love this kinda stuff.”
The Shakiest Gun in the West (didn’t care for the rest of the movie, but that line’s great)


~“If you need a haircut, Wintle, my barbershop's closed. If you're lookin' to sue somebody, my court's open every Tuesday. If you want the sheriff, I'm playin' poker.”
~“You don't jump another man's claim; you don't steal his wife, woman or whiskey; you don't strike a bargain and then entertain second thoughts about the matter. Any one of these o-ffenses will make you the exalted guest of honor at a hemp party.”
~“You couldn’t sell hacksaws in a jail.”
~“Your rear end’s on fire, Theodore.”
~“And bring your own rope.” …“(But) that’s the only rope we got.”
The Apple Dumpling Gang


~“Oh, shut up and give me the other boot.”
Stagecoach, 1966


~“Pleased to meet you.”
~“How do I know this is your horse?” “Can't you see this horse loves me?”
~“I don't tolerate this sort of thing. It's hard on the peace and hard on the furniture.” (I have started quoting that one. ;D)
~“I'm Sheriff John Langston. As you may have guessed, I'm not from these parts.” “You're kidding.”
~“That’s my hat.”
~“You idiot, he’s hitting everything he’s aimed at.”
Silverado


~“What’s with the mask?”
~“Good shot!” “It was meant to be a warning shot.” “Oh, in that case, not so good.”
~“I chose the wrong brother.”
~“Horse says you are spirit walker. A man who have been to the other side and returned. A man who can not be killed in battle. Something very wrong with that horse.”
~“Hi ho, Silver, away!” “Don’t ever do that again.”
Lone Ranger, 2013 


~“He says he don't want it.”
~“A blind man could spot you ten miles off.” “I like folks to see me.” “Maybe folks don't share your pleasure.”
~“Son, let me give you a little advice. You start admiring someone, pretty soon you're envious so you start showing off, taking chances. Before you know it, you're dead.” “Well, it ain't good for some folks to live too long.”
My Name's Nobody


~“I’m your huckleberry.”
~“You called down the thunder, well now you’ve got it.”
~“You’re a daisy if you do.”
~“I have two guns. One for each of ya.” 
Tombstone

So there ye go! Your thoughts? :)

3 comments:

  1. Your description of Little Big Horn is enthralling.

    Unbidden, I will sometimes hear Clair Trevor as Dallas inside my head. A remarkable performance in a perfect movie.

    Your selection of the '46 Virginian as the movie to inhabit is inspired. Joel McCrea in Technicolor makes me sigh right down to my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwww, that sounds beautiful and thrilling and chilling all at once. Your visit to Bighorn, I mean. Lovely description!!!

    Also, not sure if you intended it as such, but your picture of Donovan at the end of your answer to #2 is such a great reaction to what you were saying about the lack of certain items on display at the museum. xD

    This was fun to read!♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to go ahead and echo what everyone else is saying: your description of that trip is very enticing. Definitely makes a body want to go see for themselves.

    The Apple Dumpling Gang is just fabulous. <3 And all your other quotes are fun, too; some of them have interested me in those movies. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...