Saturday, February 13, 2021

Valentine's Period Drama Party // my tag answers


Valentine's Day Period Drama Tag

(I've put in links to any reviews I've already written.) 

1) Your current three (or up to five!) favorite period dramas?

North & South 2004, Jane Eyre 2011, Pride & Prejudice (see how neatly I left that ambiguous? ;) in all seriousness, though, the only one I've reviewed yet is the 2005), Emma 2009, and Ever After (generally I think of it as primarily a Cinderella adaptation, but it's rightly a period drama too so... here 'tis in the place of honor -- a highly highly competitive spot).

2) What would you recommend to someone who’s never seen a period drama as a starter?

Depending on circumstances, probably Anne of Green Gables 1985 (in a class of its own), for classic English fare Sense & Sensibility 1995 or the aforementioned '05 Pride & Prejudice. I’ve seen all those resonate very well with different people/preferences. My dad, brother, and personal Mr. Knightley have all enjoyed The Magic of Ordinary Days 2005 too (a favorite among favorites <3) so that's definitely a top tier recommendation.

3) A favorite couple that wouldn’t be included in answer #1 and/or a favorite secondary character romance?

Captain Wentworth and Anne in Persuasion. As a film, the '07 flip flops with Ever After, but I put EA up above as it’s definitely the whole package. With Persuasion, it’s all about Wentworth and Anne. Very very much about Wentworth and Anne. As a book it comes near to being my favorite JA (usually depends on how recently I've read it). The Letter (and by extension, the entire ending) is one of the most perfectly crafted moments in all of the English language. (So there. Hopefully it’s clear how much I love it and we won't have any misapprehensions on that score.) 

4) What do you consider foundational qualities for a healthy romance? 

Shared, common faith is a non-negotiable. After that a shared life vision, true friendship, shared humor/camaraderie, flexibility, honesty, attraction, passion, and self-control.

5) Worst villain/antagonist? 

I’ve been thinking about Austen all week, so I’ll say possibly Crawford in Mansfield Park. I feel like he doesn’t get enough credit in the villain category for all his evil deeds and insidious wickedness.

(A singularly ridiculous picture of almost all concerned and boy, wouldn't a new faithful adaptation be wonderful? The '83 is sterling in its way though.)

6) A favorite proposal scene? 

The ’04 N&S, first and second times. Sorry to be redundant, y’all, but one must be consistent. (Edward and Elinor at the end of the ‘08 do always make me cry though.)

7) Favorite period drama characters based on a real life couple?

Victoria and Albert in The Young Victoria 2009.

8) Any classic b/w period dramas you like?

Westerns and action dramas aside, for romantic costume-y things, the 1940 P&P and 1935 David Copperfield. I quite liked the 1943 Jane Eyre and really enjoyed the 1933 Little Women, but haven’t seen it in quite a while. 

9) Most mature romance in a period drama? (mature as in age and/or characters who are consciously and wisely ripened by life experience, etc.)

Wentworth and Anne spring to mind of course, but since I already rambled on about them, I'm going to adapt my own question a bit and go with some secondary 'advisory' couples whose romances are already well established: the Crofts in Persuasion, the Gardiners in P&P, the Westons in Emma and whatever-their-names-are -- the “mature Edmund and Fanny couple” xD -- in Amazing Grace. The Browns in Return to Cranford are also very sweet.

10) Most excruciatingly long, slow burn romance in a period drama?

I loooooove long, slow building intensity (witness N&S being my top favorite of all time), but in the excruciating sense where I end up wanting to bonk someone over the head, Roger and Molly in Wives and Daughters. And then (it's a beautiful production) but IMHO, after putting us through all that, the ending needs a tad bit more. A quick little peck on top of that cliff would be nice. Ah well… ;P

11) A story that has multiple film adaptations where you love more than one of them?

Emma, Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility. (Sometimes North & South. Depends on the day though.)

12) A book you think needs to be made into a film (or a new adaptation)? 

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. (Also a number of Alcott books such as Rose in Bloom and Old-Fashioned Girl. Alcott is shamefully under-represented, but I do get that they might be tricky to bring to screen.)

So there ye have it! Do we share any answers in common?

4 comments:

  1. The Magic of Ordinary Days is so sweet, I need to rewatch that again, I forget about it.

    The Letter is indeed one of the most beautiful things lit has ever had.

    AGREED on Crawford. I think I might rank him as the worst, he is SO just insidiously disrespectful of Fanny's boundaries in his slimey pursuit, I think he's borderline narcissist/sociopath. I'm planning up a post ranking all the Austen guys, because there are the villains, the just ugh but not villain, the realistic people, and the especially good heroes and a mix of all or any. I think I need to reread all th booksl first though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. North & South! And the 1995 S&S! Ahhh I love both of those things SO MUCH! The N&S proposal...<3 <3 <3

    YES The Blue Castle needs a film! (Although I'd be worried they wouldn't do it justice...) And so does Rose in Bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry and Marianne from Amazing Grace! They are perfect for that question.

    Elisabeth Gaskell really knew how to stretch a romance out! I really enjoy both the books of W&D and N&S and now want to watch these versions that I've heard so much about.

    Thanks for hosting, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Victoria and Albert in The Young Victoria are so special and lovely.

    Nodding and smiling a lot over your answers here :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...