Thursday, February 11, 2021

Valentine's Period Drama Party // Quotes Game

All of these are from the original books & different film adaptations may or may not have them + one wild card from a book that desperately needs an adaptation (so this is part of my grand plan to start a petition committee xD).

Leave your guesses in the comments and I'll post the answers at the end of the party. Bonus points if you include who's saying/thinking a given quote where applicable! (I tried to make it challenging and now I'm desperately nervous it'll be too difficult, so give me feedback on that. 😬😏 If you can't figure out where a quote is from, but are still pretty sure on the author I'll give you a half point for each. 😉) Have fun!

~

1) "They were gradually acquainted, and when acquainted, rapidly and deeply in love."


2) "I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad---as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have a worth---so I have always believed; and if I cannot believe it now, it is because I am insane---quite insane: with my veins running fire, and my heart beating faster than I can count its throbs. Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot."


3) "She was going away, but I detained her. I clasped my arm about her waist. ...New thoughts and hopes were whirling through my mind, and all the colors of my life were changing. 'Dearest ______! Whom I so respect and honor---whom I so devotedly love! ..." Her tears fell fast, but they were not like those she had lately shed, and I saw my hope brighten in them."


4) "Instead of falling a sacrifice to an irresistible passion, as once she had fondly flattered herself with expecting,---instead of remaining even for ever with her mother, and finding her only pleasures in retirement and study, as afterwards in her more calm and sober judgment she had determined on,---she found herself, at nineteen, submitting to new attachments, entering on new duties, placed in a new home, a wife, the mistress of a family, and the patroness of a village."


5) "...the lily face looked out with sweet gravity from under a grey Quaker bonnet, neither smiling nor blushing, but with lips trembling a little under the weight of solemn feelings. ______, as he pressed her arm to his side, walked with his old erectness and his head thrown rather backward as if to face all the world better; but it was not because he was particularly proud this morning, as is the wont of bridegrooms, for his happiness was of a kind that had little reference to men's opinion of it."


6) "I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach."

 

7) "She thought of him inescapably. She ached for him. She wanted his arms around her -- his face against hers -- his whispers in her ear. She recalled all his friendly looks and quips and jests -- his little compliments -- his caresses. She counted them all over as a woman might count her jewels -- not one did she miss from the first day they had met. These memories were all she could have now. ...Yet it would be better to forget. This agony of longing and loneliness would not be so terrible if one could forget."


8) "Oh! had any one such just cause to feel contempt for her? ________, above all people, on whom she had looked down from her imaginary heights till now! She suddenly found herself at his feet, and was strangely distressed at her fall. She shrank from following out the premises to their conclusion, and so acknowledging to herself how much she valued his respect and good opinion."


9) "She loved _______---had always loved him! She knew that now. She knew that she could no more cast him out of her life without agony than she could have cut off her right hand and cast it from her."


10) "_______, what is the matter with you?---why are you so changed?---It is a very indiscreet question I know,' she hastened to add: 'perhaps, a very rude one---don't answer if you think so---but I hate mysteries and concealments.' 'I am not changed, _______---unfortunately I am as keen and passionate as ever---it is not I, it is circumstances that are changed.' 'What circumstances? Do tell me!' Her cheek was blanched with the very anguish of anxiety..."


11) "I cannot make speeches, _______:"---he soon resumed; and in a tone of such sincere, decided, intelligible tenderness as was tolerably convincing."

 

12) "_______ thought that was splendid, and resolved to be worthy of her knight, though he did not come prancing in on a charger in gorgeous array. 'What made you stay away so long?' she asked presently, finding it so pleasant to ask confidential questions and get delightful answers that she could not keep silent."


13) "Her heart did whisper, that he had done it for her. But it was a hope shortly checked by other considerations... For herself she was humbled; but she was proud of him. Proud that in a cause of compassion and honour, he had been able to get the better of himself. She read over her aunt's commendation of him again and again. It was hardly enough; but it pleased her."


14) "Theirs was that substantial affection which arises (if any arises at all) when the two who are thrown together begin first by knowing the rougher sides of each other's character, and not the best till further on, the romance growing up in the interstices of a mass of hard prosaic reality. This good-fellowship--camaraderie--usually occurring through similarity of pursuits, is unfortunately seldom superadded to love between the sexes, because men and women associate, not in their labours, but in their pleasures merely. Where, however, happy circumstance permits its development, the compounded feeling proves itself to be the only love which is strong as death--that love which many waters cannot quench, nor the floods drown, beside which the passion usually called by the name is evanescent as steam." 

~

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I should know all of these, I feel that I've read all of these, but alas, I am sure of only a few and have guesses for a few more:
    1. ?
    2. Jane Eyre in Jane Eyre to Rochester. I'm not a Jane and Rochester fan, but this is where I greatly respect her, this speech and the conviction behind it, oh, so many are lacking this!
    3. Hmm, is this Tenant of Wildfell Hall? Its the only one I can think of written in first person from a guy, I don't remember his name or her name.
    4. Marianne Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility
    5. Arthur and Amy in Little Dorrit?
    6. Mr. Thornton in North and South?
    7. ?
    8. Is this Margaret about Mr. Thornton in North and South?
    9. Emma about Mr. Knightley in Emma?
    10. ?
    11. Mr. Knightley to Emma in Emma
    12. Is this Polly to Tommy in An Old Fashioned Girl?
    13. Elizabeth about Darcy in Pride and Prejudice
    14. ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is tricky! Here are my guesses:

    1. Marianne and Willoughby in Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen?
    2. Jane Eyre in Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte?
    3. This is familiar, but not enough for me to know it.
    4. Marianne in Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen???
    5. Rochester in Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte?
    6. Captain Frederick Wentworth in Persuasion by Jane Austen!!!
    7. Valancy Stirling in The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery <3
    8. Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen?
    9. Fie! I should know this one and will groan when I learn the answer.
    10. Catherine Morland and Isabella Thorpe in Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen?
    11. Mr. Knightley in Emma by Jane Austen?
    12. No idea.
    13. Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
    14. No idea.

    So, yes, that was tricky. But not impossible to recognize a bunch, at least. And I like a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's too hard, I just never notice these things. XD I'll tell you a million movie quotes every day, but once I read something I remember the story but instantly forget the exact phrasing or words! I am only POSITIVE about one, but I'm sure that I've read most of these books. Here goes nothing!

    (I'm also going to guess Charlotte Brontë for some of these because my sister is currently reading Jane Eyre and keeps reading parts out loud so they all sound familiar. XD I'll try to limit myself)


    6. I should know this! Ugh! Why does my brain never work when I need it to!?
    7. Jane Eyre, Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë. This might be wrong, but I'm certain I've heard the counting compliments like jewels part before.
    8. Margaret Hale, Elisabeth Gaskell, North and South?? I'm going to feel so bad if this is somewhere on the list and I miss it! Jk, I'm just going to have to reread it and that's good by me!
    9. Emma Woodhouse, Emma, Jane Austen??
    13. Elizabeth Bennet, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen!!! Whew, at least I got one right!
    14. ...Charlotte Brontë?

    Thanks for the game, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh, blogger just ate my comment. >.<

    I don't know many of these but I'll pretend I know more than I do. ;)

    (2 - Jane Eyre?

    (9 - Emma, Emma being the one thinking?

    (10 - I feel like it's Sense and Sensibility, Marianne and then Elinor speaking.

    (11 - Emma, Mr Knightley.

    (12 - Little Women, Jo. <3

    (13 - Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth Bennet.

    There. I have only read more of these once so I'm very curious to know how well I did! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...