Friday, November 6, 2020

Dancin' on skates and pianos and table tops // what fun!!

Just a handful of classic dance sequences I've been enjoying/watching on replay/getting into the swing of things. ;D Hooray! (Note: I haven't seen all of these films in their entirety.) A couple more are coming in my review tomorrow, so we'll keep those under wraps for the moment. (Hee, now aren't you the teensiest bit curious? ;)) Meanwhile, enjoy!

 Starting right off with something mind-boggling. I mean, this is just... I'm rendered speechless.

From Shall We Dance (1937)

link

Also from Shall We Dance. Such versatility. The dancing here... he makes it look effortless and I like how she follows his lead, but specifically as though it's genuinely all new to her. Definitely takes a fine level of mastery to achieve that. And that dress... 

link

~

Historically, Donald O'Connor is one of my favorite actors, so of course I love his role as sidekick in Singin' in the Rain. (Or maybe he started being a favorite because of it? No matter.) The story goes that he was so sore after filming this he had to stay home for a few days. When he got back on set he was greeted with a round of applause, only to be informed that the whole thing had to be reshot due to a camera shutter not having opened properly. Poor guy. Anyway, I defy anyone not to smile all over after watching this. 

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

link

~

This one is... unusual to say the least.

Let's Dance (1950)

link

~

Mesmerizing, smooth, stunning, and elegant -- the epitome of 30's glamour.

Top Hat (1935)

 ~

Had to get a directly ballet inspired one in here.

An American in Paris (1951) 

link


*cue more smiles*

Singin' in the Rain (again)

link

I understand this one isn't actually all that well beloved in Scotland, but the joy and rhythm are infectious. Doesn't it just make you wanna jump up and dance?

Brigadoon (1954)

link

~

A top classic if there ever was one. Love this. <3

Swing Time (1936)

link

~

So there ye have it! What's a dance sequence you've been thinking on muchly of late? And let me know if you have a favorite among the ones here!

7 comments:

  1. Hello Heidi! I just published my review of 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game'! Here's the link:

    https://18cinemalane.com/2020/11/07/take-3-take-me-out-to-the-ball-game-fred-astaire-and-gene-kelly-blogathon-part-1/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Make them laugh dance so funny, love that movie! I will have to watch the rest of these!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rakayle,
      Yes, one of my all time favorites! I'd love to hear your thoughts when you're able to see them!

      Delete
  3. The one on roller skates from Shall We Dance? is one of my favorite dances ever. It is Fabulous with a capital F! And Donald O'Connor is such a bright spot in Singin' in the Rain! Both of those dance numbers are utterly splendid. It's been awhile since I've seen some of the others, but they are always enjoyable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MovieCritic,
      YES, and Fantabulous and Fantastic. (Both with a capital F, you notice. xD) Yes, I really like Donald O'Connor and thought of highlighting him next year as I want to rewatch a couple other of his films, but not sure I can wait that long, so we shall see.... ;)

      Delete
  4. *happy sigh* This makes me so happy. I looove tap dancing and swing dancing and basically any kind of dancing!!! *heart eye emoji*

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...