Friday, November 6, 2020

Lilacs & Oranges // Two Favorite Dresses

Not an exhaustive post of all my favorite song and dance dresses (maybe next year ;)), but here's a quickie highlighting two that deserve at least an honorable mention. 

💜🌾 Flowing lavender on a prairie sound stage 🌾💜

This is, of course, very deservedly one of the greats in the classical musicals pantheon. I love how the dancing particularly perfectly flowers out and progresses as she's starting to trust and let him in.

As for the dress -- catching the lights, blowing in the breeze. Pure loveliness. 

direct link

💜🍊 Sea-bound lavender and oranges 🍊💜

 

I have to apologize for this next link: (unlike the original) it's grainy and the color and sound aren't the greatest, but it's the best I could find. Royal Wedding (which I reviewed here a very long time ago, seems like) has it's faults, but it's also sweet and charming and delightful.

This dress is pretty straightforward in design, but oh the sparkles...! and the layers of pouf! (you see I'm very technical this morning)... and the all around swirlyness! *heart eyes* In other words, the general "thing-ness."

I'm actually fond of this scene as I love the brother-sister interaction between Astaire and Powell. And Peter Lawford's in this scene. So there's that. But beyond those points, the introduction of the oranges is probably one of my favorite bits. Something about it is just so original and unexpected.

direct link

Posted for With Glamour & Panache: A Fred Astaire & Gene Kelly Musicals Blogathon hosted here at Along the Brandywine. Come and join us! :)

~

~ What are one or two of your favorite dresses in a musical? ~

3 comments:

  1. I love both of these outfits. The one from Royal Wedding is my favorite from the movie!

    "And Peter Lawford's in this scene. So there's that." <-- Honestly my reaction to every single thing with Peter Lawford. *heart eyes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MovieCritic,
      Ooh lovely!! YES, such swirlyness... *happy sigh*

      :) XD

      Delete
  2. OHH THE SPARKLES AND THE SWISH ON THE SECOND DRESS!! I feel you exactly. :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...